Two compact CPW-fed band-pass filters using dual-mode resonator are proposed and studied - one resonator with two unequal corner-cut elements located at two diagonal corners of a conventional micro-strip patch and the other with unequal crossed slots at the center of a conventional micro-strip patch. In this paper, adjusting the length of corner-cut element and the crossed slot are mainly studied. By use of HFSS, the simulation results are given and analyzed. The simulation results show that the pass-band of the filter(a) may be adjusted over the bandwidth range from 4.9% to 16%, and the pass-band of the filter(b) may be adjusted over the bandwidth range from 5.4% to 8.2%, and filter(b) with cross-slot has smaller size than filter(a) with corner-cut to meet the same application demand. According to the simulation results, to design a filter which works at 1.65 GHz, the configuration of filter(b) is adopted owning to smaller size. finally, filter(b) with len1=20.2mm and len2=20.4mm is fabricated and measured, which has a minimum insertion loss of 2.48 dB in its pass-band.
2. Matsuo, M., H. Yabuki, and M. Makimoto, "Dual-mode stepped impedance ring resonator for bandpass filter applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 1235-1240, July 2001.
3. Hong, J.-S. and S. Li, "Dual-mode microstrip triangular patch resonators and filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1901-1904, 2003.
4. Waegel, K. H. and R. Bauer, "Slot coupled dual-mode patch filters," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 10, 878-879, May 1996.
5. Zhao, L.-P., et al., "Novel design of dualmode bandpass filter using rectangle structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 131-141, 2008.
6. Wu, G.-L., et al., "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
7. Wang, Y.-X., B.-Z. Wang, and J. P. Wang, "A compact square loop dual-mode bandpass filter with wide stop-band ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 67-73, 2007.
8. Zhu, L., P.-M. Wecowski, and K. Wu, "New planar dual-mode filter using cross-slotted patch resonator for simultaneous size and loss reduction ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 650-654, May 1999.
9. Chen, Z.-X., X.-W. Dai, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel dual-mode dualband bandpass filter using double square-loop structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 409-416, 2007.
10. Zhao, L.-P., et al., "Novel design of dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with triangular resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 417-424, 2007.
11. Huang, X. D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel coplanar-waveguide bandpass filter using a dual-mode square-ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 1, 13-15, Jan. 2006.
12. Zhang, X. Y. and Q. Xue, "Novel dual-mode dual-band filters using coplanar-waveguide-fed ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, 2183-2190, October 2007.
13. Garg, R., et al., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 493-500, Artech House, Boston London, 2000, www.artechhouse.com.
14. Hu, H. L. and C. H. Cheng, "A cpw bandpass filter using a dualmode square patch resonator," Journal of Microwaves, Vol. 23, No. 2, 59-62, April 2007(in Chinese).