In this paper, design and analysis of a novel broadband V-shaped monopole antenna is presented. The proposed antenna has a simple configuration to fabricate with low cost. The antenna is composed of two elliptical conducting plates connected to the two edges of a small horizontal rectangular plate and placed over a small circular ground plane. The designed antenna has a very wide bandwidth range of 3-18 GHz, low cross polarization, relatively high gain and good far-field radiation characteristics in the entire operating bandwidth. To obtain the broad bandwidth, the antenna dimensions have been optimized. A comprehensive parametric study has been carried out to understand the effects of various parameters and to optimize the performance of the final design. The designed antenna is simulated with software packages CST microwave studio and Ansoft' HFSS in the operating frequency range. Simulation results for VSWR and far-field radiation patterns of the antenna over the frequency band 3-18 GHz are presented and discussed.
2. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra-wideband microstripfed tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 59-69, 2006.
3. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dual-wideband square slot antenna with a U-shaped printed tuning stub for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005.
4. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. Geran, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
5. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1411-1420, 2007.
6. Song, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-fed triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.
7. Gopikrishna, M., D. D. Krishna, A. R. Chandran, and C. K. Aanandan, "Square monopole antenna for ultra wide band communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1525-1537, 2007.
8. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
9. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998.
10. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and J. Yu, "Study of a circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," Int. Symp. Antennas Propag., Sendai, Japan, Aug. 17–21, 2004.
11. Chen, Z. N., M. Y. W. Chia, and M. J. Ammann, "Optimization and comparison of broadband monopoles ," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, No. 6, 429-435, 2003.
12. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabre's, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Valero-Nogueira, "Wideband double-fed planar monopole antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 23, 1635-1636, 2003.
13. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Printed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1248, 2004.
14. Wang, W., S. S. Zhong, and S.-B. Chen, "A novel wideband coplanar fed monopole antenna," Microwave. Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 43, No. 1, 50-52, 2004.
15. Chung, K., T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Wideband CPW-fed monopole antenna with parasitic elements and slots," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 17, 1038-1040, 2004.
16. Ye, Q., Z. N. Chen, and T. S. P. Terence, "A novel butterflyshaped monopole UWB antenna," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, 315-318, 2007.
17. Powell, J. and C. Anantha, "Differential and single ended elliptical antennas for 3.1–10.6 GHz ultra wideband communication," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 2935-2938, June 2004.
18. Foster, P., "UWB antenna issues," IEE Seminar on Ultra Wideband Communications Technologies and System Design, 69-88, July 2004.
19. Schantz, H. G., "A brief history of UWB antennas," IEEE Magazine on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 19, No. 4, 22-26, April 2004.
20. FCC, "First report and order on ultra-wideband technology,", Tech. Rep., 2002.