This paper proposes an improved adaptive approach involving Bacterial Foraging Algorithm (BFA) to optimize both the amplitude and phase of the weights of a linear array of antennas for maximum array factor at any desired direction and nulls in specific directions. The Bacteria Foraging Algorithm is made adaptive using principle of adaptive delta modulation. To show the improvement in making the algorithm adaptive, results for both adaptive and nonadaptive algorithms are given. It is found that Adaptive Bacteria Foraging Algorithm (ABFA) is capable of improving the speed of convergence as well as the precision in the desired result.
2. Liao, W. P. and F. L. Chu, "Array pattern synthesis with null steering using genetic algorithms by controlling only the current amplitudes," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 86, 445-457, 1999.
3. Shore, R. A., "Nulling at symmetric pattern location with phase only weight control," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, 530-530, 1984.
4. Haupt, R. L., "Phase-only adaptive nulling with a genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 1009-1015, 1997.
5. Ismail, T. H. and M. M. Dawoud, "Null steering in phased arrays by controlling the element positions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 1561-1566, 1991.
6. Tennant, A., M. M. Dawoud, and A. P. Anderson, "Array pattern nulling by element position perturbations using a genetic algorithm ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, 174-176, 1994.
7. Liao, W. P. and F. L. Chu, "Array pattern nulling by phase and position perturbations with the use of the genetic algorithm," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 15, 251-256, 1997.
8. Abu-Al-Nadi, D. I., T. H. Ismail, and M. J. Mismar, "Interference suppression by element position control of phased arrays using LM algorithm," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 60, 151-158, 2006.
9. Hejres, J. A., "Null steering in phased arrays by controlling the positions of selected elements ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat. , Vol. 52, 2891-2895, 2004.
10. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, July 1994.
11. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-20, Aug. 1997.
12. Rahamat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen (eds), Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, John Wiely & Sons, New York, 1999.
13. Chung, Y. C. and R. L. Haupt, "Amplitude and phase adaptive nulling with a genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, 631-649, 2000.
14. Mouhamadou, M. P. and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
15. Kirkpatrick, S., C. D. Gellat, and M. P. Vecchi, "Optimization by simulated annealing," Science, Vol. 220, 671-679, 1983.
16. Krishnakumar, K., "Micro-genetic algorithms for stationary and nonstationary function optimization," Intelligent Control and Adaptive Systems, SPIE, Seattle, WA, 1989.
17. Haouari, M. and J. C. Sinha, "A hybrid lagrangian genetic algorithm for the prize collecting steiner tree problem," Computers and Operation Research 33, Vol. 5, 1274-1288, 2006.
18. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007.
19. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 3, 771-779, 2004.
20. Gies, D. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization for reconfigurable phase-differentiated array design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, 168-175, 2003.
21. Mahmoud, K. R., K. R. M. El-Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm ," Progress In electromagnetic Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007.
22. Hosseini, S. A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Optimization of side lobe level and fixing quasi-nulls in both of the sum and difference patterns by using continuous ant colony optimization (ACO) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 321-337, 2008.
23. Passino, K. M., "Biomimicry of bacterial foraging for distributed optimization and control," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 3, 52-67, June 2002.
24. Tripathy, M. and S. Mishra, "Bacteria foraging-based solution to optimize both real power loss and voltage stability limit," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 22, No. 1, February 2007.
25. Mishra, S., "A hybrid least square-fuzzy bacteria foraging strategy for harmonic estimation," IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol. 9, No. 1, 61-73, Feb. 2005.
26. Guney, K. and S. Basbug, "Interference suppression of linear antenna arrays by amplitude-only control using a bacterial foraging algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Reseatch, Vol. 79, 475-497, 2008.
27. Mangaraj, B. B., I. S. Misra, and A. K. Barisal, "Optimizing included angle of symmetrical V-dipole for higher directivity using bacteria foraging algorithm ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 3, 295-314, USA, 2008.
28. Lin, W. and P. X. Liu, "Hammerstein model identification based on bacterial foraging," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 1332-1334, 2006.
29. Kim, D. H., A. Abraham, and J. H. Cho, "A hybrid genetic algorithm and bacterial foraging approach for global optimization," Information Sciences, Vol. 177, 3918-3937, 2007.
30. Niu, B., Y. Zhu, X. He, and X. Zeng, "Optimum design of PID controllers using only a germ of intelligence," 6th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, 3584-3588, Dalian, China, June 2006.
31. Lathi, B. P., Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems , 3rd Ed., Oxford University Press, 1998.
32. Vescovo, R., "Beam scanning with null and excitation constraints for linear arrays of antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 267-277, 2007.
33. Zhai, Y.-W., X.-W. Shi, and Y.-J. Zhao, "Optimized design of ideal and actual transformer based on improved micro-genetic algorithm ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1761-1771, 2007.
34. Lee, K.-C., C.-W. Huang, and Y.-H. Chen, "Analysis of nonlinear microwave circuits by particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1353-1365, 2007.
35. Liu, X.-F., Y.-B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Modified partice swarm optimization for patch antenna a design based on IE3D," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 21, No. 13, 1819-1828, 2007.