A new multi-layer planar array architecture to achieve multi-polarized radiation is developed in this paper. The design concept is based on embedding U-shaped coupling slots in the ground plane to extend the bandwidth. The proposed antennas have two feed ports, by adjusting the feeding properly, the antennas can transmit arbitrary elliptic polarized signal theoretically. Return loss and radiation patterns are measured for the 1-element, 2-element, 4- element, 16-element antenna arrays at 12.5 GHz. Radiation patterns of the antenna arrays show close agreement to the predicted ones in the shape of the main beam. By further incorporating properly designed feed networks, the -20 dB return-loss bandwidth of the proposed antenna arrays can cover the 12.5 GHz frequency band (12.25-12.75 GHz). Design details and experimental results are presented and discussed.
1. Wong, K.-L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002.
2. Garg, R., et al., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Inc., 2001.
3. Ang, Y.-Z., L. X. Zhang, and G. Wei, "Designing a novel broadband microstrip antenna by using HFSS," Journal of System Simulation, Vol. 19, No. 11, 2603-2606, June 2007.
4. Liu, W. C. and P.-C. Kao, "Design of a probe-fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939307780748986
5. Chiou, T.-W. and K.-L. Wong, "A compact dual-band dual-polarized patch antenna for 900/1800-MHz cellular systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, August 2003.
6. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Comparison of several novel annular-ring microstrip patch antennas for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1427-1438, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274336
7. Niyomjan, G. and Y. Huang, "A suspended microstrip fed slot antenna on high impedance surface structure,", Vol. 626SP, European Agency, (Special Publication) ESA, October 2006.
8. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05120101
9. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel ultra-wideband microstrip-line fed wide-slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 4, 776-777, April 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21472
10. Ray, K. P. and D. D. Krishnas, "Compact dual band suspended semicircular microstrip antenna with half U-slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 2021-2024, October 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21844
11. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna fed by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07092001
12. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 311-317, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06053001
13. Zhang, M.-T., Y.-B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Dual circularly polarized antenna of compact structure for RFID application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1895-1902, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322611
14. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna fed by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07092001
15. Fallahi, R., A.-A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08022603