A technique for natural frequency extraction without a prior knowledge of the number of natural frequencies is proposed. The proposed scheme is based on the GPOF method with the overestimated number of natural frequencies, and it has been shown from simulation result that the proposed method is superior to the GPOF method. The method is applied to the extraction of the natural frequencies of the thin wires whose exact natural frequencies are known. While the absence of the true natural frequency has much effect on the transient response reconstruction, the absence of the spurious natural frequency has little effect on the transient response reconstruction. Using the above property, true natural frequencies and spurious natural frequencies can be discriminated.
2. Chen, K. M., D. P. Nyquist, E. J. Rothwell, L. Webb, and W. M. Sun, "Newprogress on E/S pulse technique for noncooperative target recognition," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 40, 829-833, July 1992.
3. Blanco, D., D. P. Ruiz, E. Alameda, and M. C. Carrion, "An asymptotically unbiased E-pulse-based scheme for radar target discrimination," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 52, 1348-1350, May 2004.
4. Lee, J.-H., I.-S. Choi, and H.-T. Kim, "Natural frequency-based neural network approach to radar target recognition," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 51, 3191-3197, Dec. 2003.
5. Lee, J.-H. and H.-T. Kim, "Radar target discrimination using transient response reconstruction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 655-669, May 2005.
6. Tesche, F. M., "On the analysis of scattering and antenna problems using the singularity expansion technique," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 21, 53-61, Jan. 1973.
7. Hua, Y. and T. K. Sarkar, "Generalized pencil-of-function method for extracting poles of an EM system from its transient response," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 37, 229-234, Feb. 1989.
8. Hua, Y. and T. K. Sarkar, "Matrix pencil method for estimating parameters of exponentially damped/undamped sinusoids in noise," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 38, 814-824, May 1990.
9. Hua, Y., "Parameter estimation of exponentially damped sinusoids using higher order statistics and matrix pencil," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 39, 1691-1692, Jul. 1991.
10. Wax, M. and T. Kailath, "Detection of signals by information theoretic criteria," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 33, 387-392, Apr. 1985.
11. Wax, M. and I. Ziskind, "Detection of number of coherent signals by the MDL principle," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 37, 1190-1196, Aug. 1989.
12. Fishler, E. and H. Messer, "On the use of order statistics for improved detection of signals by the MDL criterion," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 48, 2242-2247, Aug. 2000.
13. Liavas, A. and P. Regalia, "On the behavior of information theoretic criteria for model order selection," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 49, 1689-1695, Aug. 2001.