This paper presents a broad-band technique for measuring the dielectric permittivity of isotropic nonmagnetic film-shaped materials at low microwave frequencies. The material under test is the substrate of an open-end coplanar waveguide (CPW) used as sample-cell. The dielectric permittivity is extracted from S11 reflection parameter measurement of the open-end CPW cell using analytical relationships, which allow to decrease the computation time with respect to any full-wave electromagnetic method. Vector network analyzer (VNA) and high-quality on-coplanar test fixture are used for the measurements between 300 kHz and 3 GHz. Measured εr data for several nonmagnetic low-loss materials are presented. This technique shows a good agreement between measured and predicted data for the real permittivity over 0.05 GHz-3GHz frequency range.
2. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On measuring the permittivity tensor of an anisotropic material from the transmission coefficients," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 105-116, 2008.
3. Queffelec, P., Ph. Gelin, J. Gieraltowski, and J. Loaec, "A microstrip device for the broad-band simultaneous measurement of complex permeability and permittivity," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 30, No. 2, 224-231, 1994.
4. Huang, R. F. and D. M. Zhang, "Application of mode matching method to analysis of axisymmetric coaxial discontinuity structures used in permeability and/or permittivity measurement ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 205-230, 2007.
5. Chung, B.-K., "Dielectric constant measurement for thin material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 239-252, 2007.
6. Challa, R., -K., D. Kajfez, J. R. Gladden, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Permittivity measurement with a non-standard waveguide by using TRL calibration and fractional linear data fitting," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 1-13, 2008.
7. Stewart, J. W., and M. J. Havrilla, "Electromagnetic characterization of a magnetic material using an open-ended waveguide probe and a rigorous full-wave multimode model," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, 2037-2052, 2006.
8. Hyde IV, M. W. and M. J. Havrilla, "A nondestructive technique for determining complex permittivity and permeability of magnetic sheet materials using two flanged rectangular waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 367-386, 2008.
9. Hinojosa, J., "S-parameter broadband measurements on-coplanar and fast extraction of the substrate intrinsic properties ," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Comon. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 2, 80-82, 2001.
10. Wu, Y. Q., Z. X. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. H. Xu, "Permeability measurement of ferromagnetic materials in microwave frequency range using support vector machine regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 247-256, 2007.
11. Moradi, G. and A. Abdipour, "Measuring the permittivity of dielectric materials using STDR approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 357-365, 2007.
12. Wu, Y. Q., Z. X. Tang, Y. H. Xu, X. He, and B. Zhang, "Permittivity measurement of ferroelectric thin film based on CPW transmission line," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 22, 555-562, 2008.
13. He, X., Z. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. Wu, "A new deembedding method in permittivity measurement of ferroelectric thin film material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 1-8, 2008.
14. Wu, Y. Q., Z. Tang, Y. Xu, and X. He, "A new method to avoid crowding phenomenon in extracting the permittivity of ferroelectric thin films," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 159-166, 2008.
15. Boughriet, A.-H., C. Legrand, and A. Chapoton, "Noniterative stable transmission/reflection method for low-loss material complex permittivity determination," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 1, 52-57, 1997.
16. Pannel, R. M. and B. W. Jervis, "Two simple methods for the measurement of dielectric permittivity of low-loss microstrip substrates ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 29, No. 4, 383-386, 1981.
17. Hinojosa, J., "Permittivity characterization from open-end microstrip line measurements," Microw. Opt. Tecnol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 6, 1371-1374, 2007.
18. Zhang, J., and T. Y. Hsiang, "Dispersion characteristics of coplanar waveguides at subterahertz frequencies," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, 1411-1417, 2006.
19. Dib, N., "Comprehensive study of CAD models of several coplanar waveguide (CPW) discontinuities ," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, No. 2, 69-76, 2005.
20. Ghione, G. and C. Naldi, "Analytical formulas for coplanar lines in hybrid and monolithic MICs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 4, 179-181, 1984.
21. Denlinger, E., J., "Losses of microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 28, No. 6, 513-522, 1980.
22. Rosloniec, S., Algorithms for Computer-aided Design of Linear Microwave Circuits, Artech House, MA, 1990.