In this paper we present the design of a novel Patch Antenna with Switchable V-Slot (PASVS) that resonates at two different frequencies. The antenna operates at the lower frequency when the switch is OFF and at the higher frequency when the switch is ON. This antenna is designed for special applictions which need small frequency ratio. The different effects of the feeding position, the slot location, and the slot length are invetigated in this paper. This investigation has been used to optimize the design of the PASVS antenna in terms of the return loss (RL), the bandwidth, the gain, and the required frequency ratio.
2. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antenna coupled to a microstrip line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, 49-50, Jan. 1985.
3. Neog, P. D., et al., "Design of wideband microstrip antenna and the use of artificial neural networks in parameter calculation,", Vol. 47, No. 3, 60-65, Jun. 2005.
4. Yang, F., et al., "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, Jul. 2001.
5. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Patch Antennas with Switchable Slots (PASS) in wireless communications: Concepts, designs, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 2, 13-29, Apr. 2005.
6. Jung, C. W. and K. Kim, "Reconfigurable antenna for concurrent operation over cellular and connectivity bands," Electronic Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 334-335, Feb. 28, 2008.
7. Nikolaou, S., et al., Design and development of an annular slot antenna (ASA) with a reconfigurable radiation pattern, Microwave Conference Proceedings, 2005. APMC 2005. Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings, Vol. 5, 4-7, 2005.
8. Nikolaou, S, et al., "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, Part 1, 439-448, Feb. 2006.
9. Wu, S.-J. and T.-G. Ma, "A wideband slotted bow-tie antenna with recon¯gurable CPW-to-slotline transition for pattern diversity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 327-334, Feb. 2008.
10. Kim, Y.-J., Reconfigurable annular ring slot antenna with circular polarization diversity, Microwave Conference, 2007, APMC 2007. Asia-Pacific, 1-4, Dec. 11--14, 2007.