An internal shorted patch antenna integrated with a RF/battery shielding metal case for application in a UMTS mobile phone is presented. The shorted patch antenna is mounted at the dented portion of the shielding metal case, with the top patch flushed with the top surface of the shielding metal case. This configuration shows no protruded portions, which makes the antenna very suitable to be integrated in a UMTS mobile phone as an internal antenna. With the integrated design, which provides a coupling-free region for the nearby electronic components or conducting elements in the mobile phone, possible coupling between the antenna and associated components can be avoided. Details of the proposed design showing a wide bandwidth for UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunication System, 1920 ~ 2170 MHz) operation are demonstrated, and effects of the dimensions of the RF/battery shielding metal case are presented and discussed.
2. Ollikainen, J., M. Fischer, and P. Vainikainen, "Thin dual-resonant stacked shorted patch antenna for mobile communications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, 437-438, Mar. 18, 1999.
3. Salonen, P., M. Keskilammi, and M. Kivikoski, "New slot configurations for dual-band planar inverted-F antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 28, 293-298, Mar. 5, 2001.
4. Hsiao, F. R., H. T. Chen, G. Y. Lee, T. W. Chiou, and K. L.Wong, "A dual-band planar inverted-F patch antenna with a branch-line slit," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 32, 310-312, Feb. 20, 2002.
5. Yeh, S. H., K. L. Wong, T. W. Chiou, and S. T. Fang, "Dual-band planar inverted-F antenna for GSM/DCS mobile phones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 1124-1126, May 2003.
6. Teng, P. L., T. W. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "Planar inverted-F antenna with a bent meandered radiating arm for GSM/DCS operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, 73-75, Jul. 5, 2003.
7. Turku, J. P., M. L. Laitinen, M. L. Angelniemi, and E. J. Salo, "Integrated antenna group plate and EMC shield structure,", U.S. Patent 6,417,817 B1, Jul. 9, 2002.
8. Wong, A. C. W. and W. H. Leung, "Integrated inverted F antenna and shield can,", U.S. Patent 6,850,196 B2, Feb. 1, 2005.
9. Mendolia, G. S. and W. E. McKinzie, "Combined EMI shielding and internal antenna mobile products,", U.S. Patent 6,867,746 B2, Mar. 15, 2005.
10. Su, S. W. and K. L. Wong, "Integrated internal PIFA for UMTS operation of clamshell mobile phones," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, 546-548, Sep. 2005.
11. Su, C. M., K. L. Wong, C. L. Tang, and S. H. Yeh, "EMC internal patch antenna for UMTS operation in a mobile device," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 3836-3839, Nov. 2005.
12. Su, S. W. and K. L.Wong, "Internal monopole antenna integrated with a shielding metal case for UMTS mobile devices," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 162-165, Jan. 2006.
13. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, C. L. Tang, and S. H. Yeh, "Wideband monopole antenna integrated within the front-end module package ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, 1888-1891, Jun. 2006.
14. Su, C. M., K. L. Wong, B. Chen, and S. Yang, "EMC internal patch antenna integrated with a U-shaped shielding metal case for mobile device application," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 1157-1161, Jun. 2006.
15. Wong, K. L. and C. I. Lin, "Internal GSM/DCS antenna backed by a step-shaped ground plane for a PDA phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, 2408-2410, Aug. 2006.
16., http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss/, , Ansoft Corporation HFSS.