In this paper CSRRs (complementary split-ring resonators) are used to suppress the first spurious response in microstrip hairpin filters. The CSRRs are merged in the filter structure, and therefore the filter size is not increased. The design methodology is presented, and a filter with center frequency at 3 GHz is designed, fabricated and tested as an example. The characterization of this new filter shows the efficiency of the proposed approach to improve filter response with spurious rejection up to 20dB while the size is even slightly reduced.
2. Cohn, S. B., "Parallel-coupled transmission-line resonator filters," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 6, No. 2, 223-231, 1958.
3. Kuo, J. T. and M. Jiang, Suppression of spurious resonance for microstrip band pass filters via substrate suppression, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 497-500, Kyoto, Japan, 2002.
4. Kuo, J. T. and W. Hsu, "Parallel coupled microstrip filters with suppression of harmonic response," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 10, 383-385, 2002.
5. Lopetegi, T., M. A. G. Laso, J. Hernandez, M. Bacaicoa, D. Benito, M. J. Garde, M. Sorolla, and M. Guglielmi, "New microstrip wiggly-line filters with spurious passband suppression," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 1593-1598, 2001.
6. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Broad-band power amplifier using dielectric photonic bandgap structures," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 1, 13-15, 1998.
7. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-ε stop-band microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, 2004.
8. Garcia-Garcia, J., F. Martin, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, J. Baena, I. Gil, E. Amat, T. Lopetegi, M. Laso, J. Iturmendi, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Microwave filters with improved stopband based on sub-wavelength resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1997-2006, 2005.
9. Wu, B., B. Li, T. Su, and C. H. Liang, "Study on transmission characteristic of split ring resonator defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 710-714, 2006.
10. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of meta-surfaces and meta-materials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, 197401-197404, 2004.
11. Bonache, J., I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "New microstrip filters based on complementary split rings resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 265-271, 2006.
12. Garcia, J., F. Martin, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, I. Gil, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Spurious passband suppression in microstrip coupled line band pass filters by means of split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 416-418, 2004.
13. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. R. Martin, Marques, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent circuit models for split ring resonators and complementary split ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
14. Beruete, M., R. Marques, J. D. Baena, and M. Sorolla, Resonance and cross-polarization effects in conventional and complementary split ring resonators periodic screens, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3A, 794-797, 2005.
15. Lai, X., Q. Li, P. Y. Qin, B. Wu, and C. H. Liang, "A novel widband band pass filter based on complementary split ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 177-184, 2008.
16. Zhang, J., B. Cui, and X. W. Sun, "Sharp rejection Low pass filter with controllable transmission zero using complementary split ring resonator (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 219-226, 2007.