We have investigated elliptical annular ring microstrip antennas having a sine wave periphery both theoretically and experimentally. The proposed antenna gives a good circular polarization at the center frequency of 1.296 GHz, with measured 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth of about 0.73% (9.5 MHz) and impedance bandwidth of about 1.7% (22.0 MHz). Input and radiation characteristics are also examined for different sine wave amplitudes applied to the periphery of elliptical ring patch antenna.
1. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110604
2. Sharma, P. and K. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 6, 949-955, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143162
3. Nasimuddin, K., P. Esselle, and A. K. Verma, "Wideband circularly polarized stacked microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 21-24, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.890749
4. Kan, H. K. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Low cross-polarised patch antenna with single feed," IEEE Electronic Letters, Vol. 43, No. 5, 9-10, 2007.
6. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Theoretical and experimental investigation of the elliptical annular ring antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, No. 11, 1526-1530, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.9700
7. Hong, W., C.-T. Cheng, Y.-D. Lin, and T. Kitazawa, A novel dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna, 36th European Microwave Conference, 1629-1632, 2006.
8. Gianvittorio, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas Propagation Mag., Vol. 44, 20-36, 2002. doi:10.1109/74.997888
9. Krishna, D. D., M. Gopikrishna, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Compact wideband Koch fractal printed slot antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 782-789, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0210
10. Chen, W.-L., G.-M. Wang, and C.-X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2176-2179, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021974