A novel planar dipole for Ultra-High-Frequency (UHF) Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) systems is presented here. Referring to a realization based on the use of a chip produced by Texas Instruments, the proposed design approach has been numerically and experimentally investigated. Reported results demonstrate that the proposed antenna exhibits good radiation properties and matching (|S11|<-10 dB) over the entire UHF RFID bandwidth (860-960 MHz).
1. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook: Fundamentals and Applications in Contact-less Smart Cards and Identification, 2nd Ed., Wiley & Sons, 2003.
2. Yang, L., A. Rida, M. M. Tentzeris, and A. Mortazawi, "Design and Development of RFID and RFID-enabled Sensors on Flexible Low Cost Substrates," Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2009.
3. Edelman, C., et al., "Designing RFID tags using direct antenna matching," Microwave Engineering Europe, 23-26, Dec./Jan. 2005.
4. Catarinucci, L., R. Colella, and L. Tarricone, "A cost-effective UHF RFID Tag for transmission of generic sensor data in wireless sensor networks," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 1291-1296, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017296
5. Rao, K. V. S., et al., "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: review and a practical application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859919
6. Ng, M. L., K. S. Leong, and P. H. Cole, "Analysis of constraints in small UHF RFID tag design," IEEE 2005 International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications (MAPE 2005), 2005.
7. Basat, S., K. Lim, I. Kim, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Laskar, Design and development of a miniaturized embedded UHF RFID tag for automotive tire applications, 55th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 867-870, 2005.
8. Bjorninen, T., S. Merilampi, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, and P. Ruuskanen, "The effect of fabrication method on passive UHF RFID tag performance," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2009, 8, 2009.
9. Traille, A., L. Yang, A. Rida, T. Wu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and modeling of novel multiband wideband antennas for RPID tags and readers using time-frequency-domain simulators ," Workshop on Computational Electromagnetics in Time-Domain, 1-3, Oct. 15-17, 2007.
10. Basat, S., S. Bhattacharya, L. Yang, A. Rida, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Laskar, "Design of a novel high efficiency UHF RFID antenna on flexible LCP substrate with high read-range capability," 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation , 1031-1034, July 2006.
11. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, H.-F. Jiang Tao, and L.-X. Ran, "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with V-shaped ground for 2.45 GHz RFID readers ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-158, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022501
12. Fang, Z., R. Jin, J. Geng, and J. Sun, "A novel broadband antenna for passive UHF RFID transponders offering global functionality," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 11, 2795-2798, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22877
13. Marrocco, G., "RFID antennas for the UHF remote monitoring of human bodies ," 2007 IET Seminar on Antennas and Propagation for Body-Centric Wireless Communications , 51-56, 2007. doi:10.1049/ic:20070546
14. Zainud-Deen, S. H., H. A. El-Azem Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, "Fractal antenna for passive UHF RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 209-228, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09051506
15. Liu, J.-C., B.-H. Zeng, I. Chen, C.-C. Chang, and D.-C. Chang, "An inductive self-complementary Hilbert-curve antenna for UHF RFID broadband and circular polarization tags," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 433-443, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09072103
16. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. A. Kishk, T. Elsherbeni, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, M. Kivikoski, S. Merilampi, and P. Ruuskanen, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011804
17. UHF Gen-2 system overview, , Texas Instruments, Sept. 2005, available at HTTP: http://rfidusa.com/superstore/pdf/UHF System Overview.pdf.