This paper presents a very flexible and generic design of a diode-based RF predistortion linearizer that can correct for the dual-inflection point type compression characteristics found in the gain profile of metal semiconductor field effect transistor (MESFET) based and Doherty power amplifiers. It consists of a circuit configuration that has the head-tail configuration of Schottky diodes, complemented with a p-intrinsic-n (PIN) diode in parallel, at two ports of a 90° hybrid coupler for improving the performance of the linearizer. The use of a PIN diode in the linearizer provides it with an extra level of freedom in achieving the desired characteristic. Overall, the linearizer is equipped with three degrees of freedom and hence possesses the capability to achieve output characteristics that can be employed in linearizing various types of power amplifiers. The proposed linearizer has been shown to simultaneously improve the third- and fifth-order intermodulation distortions of a commercial ZHL-4240 gallium arsenide field effect transistor (GaAs FET) based power amplifier over a 10 dB power range.
2. Hammi, O., S. Carichner, B. Vassilakis, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Synergetic crest factor reduction and baseband digital predistortion for adaptive 3g doherty power amplifier linearizer design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 11, 2602-2608, November 2008.
3. Kim, J., Y. Y. Woo, J. Cha, S. Hong, I. L. Kim, J. Moon, J. Kim, and B. Kim, "Analog predistortion of high power amplifier using novel low memory matching topology," Journal of the Korea Electromagnetic Engineering Society, Vol. 7, No. 4, 146-153, December 2007.
4. Kursu, O., M. Riikola, J. Aikio, and T. Rahkonen, "Polynomial 2.1 GHz RF predistorter with envelope injection output," Springer Analog Integrated Circuit and Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 1, 13-20, January 2007.
5. Ma, H. and Q. Feng, "An improved design of feed-forward power amplifier," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 4, 363-367, 2007.
6. Zhao, G., F. M. Ghannouchi, F. Beauregard, and A. B. Kouki, "Digital implementations of adaptive feedforward amplifier linearization techniques," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Vol. 2, 543-546, June 1996.
7. Eid, E. E. and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Adaptive nulling loop control for 1.7-GHz feedforward linearization systems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 1, 83-86, January 1997.
8. Boulejfen, N., A. Harguem, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "New closed-form expressions for the prediction of multitone inter modulation distortion in ¯fth-order nonlinear RF circuits/systems ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 1, 121-132, January 2004.
9. Nakayama, M., K. Mori, K. Yamauchi, Y. Itoh, and T. Takagi, A novel amplitude and phase linearizing technique for microwave power amplifiers , IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1451-1454, Orlando, FL, May 1995.
10. Yamauchi, K., K. Mori, M. Nakayama, Y. Itoh, Y. Mitsui, and O. Ishida, "A novel series diode linearizer for mobile radio power amplifiers," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 831-834, 1996.
11. Gupta, N., A. Tombak, and A. Mortazawi, "A predistortion linearizer using a tunable resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 431-433, September 2004.
12. Katz, A., "Linearization: Reducing distortion in power amplifiers," IEEE Microwave, Vol. 2, 37-49, December 2001.
13. Hau, G., T. B. Nishimura, and N. Iwata, "A highly efficient linearized wide-band CDMA handset power amplifier based on predistortion under various bias conditions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, 1194-1200, June 2001.
14. Suematsu, N., T. Takeda, A. Lida, and S. Urasaki, A Predistortion type equipath linearizer in ku-band, Proc. 3rd Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., 1077-1088, Tokyo, September 1990.
15. Wright, A. S. and W. G. Durler, "Experimental performance of an adaptive digital linearized power amplifier," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 41, No. 4, 395-400, November 1992.
16. Ghannouchi, F. M. and J. S. Cardinal, A new adaptive double envelope feedback linearizer for mobile radio power amplifiers, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 573-576, San Diego, May 1994.
17. Yamauchi, K., K. Mori, M. Nakayama, Y. Mitsui, and T. Takagi, "A microwave miniaturized linearizer using a parallel diode with a bias feed resistance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 12, 2431-2435, December 1997.
18. Park, C.-W., F. Beauregard, G. Carangelo, F. M. Ghannouchi, and , An independently controllable AM/AM and AM/PM predistortion linearizer for CDMA2000 multi-carrier applications, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 53-56, Phoenix, May 2001.
19. Holbrook, G. W. and W. E. Rockwell, "Predistortion correction of intermodulation products," IEE Conf. Digest, 134-135, October 1971.
20. Blachman, N. M., "Detectors, band pass nonlinearities, and their optimization: Inversion of the chebyshev transform," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 17, No. 4, July 1971.