A novel approach is proposed for automated dimension estimation in memory polynomial based power amplifiers/transmitters behavioral models. This method consists of successively identifying the static nonlinearity order and memory depth of the model in accordance with a predefined performance criterion. The proposed method is validated using a 3G Doherty power amplifier driven by various WCDMA signals. Experimental results demonstrate the robustness of the proposed successive sweep approach compared to the conventional blind simultaneous sweep approach. The proposed dimension estimation method is an enabling tool for efficient design optimization of power amplifiers circuits to enhance their linearizability.
2. Konstantinou, K. and D. K. Paul, "Broadband feedforward linearization of microwave power amplifiers," IEE Colloquium on Solid State Power Amplification and Generation, 2/1-2/9, Jan. 1996.
3. Katz, A., "Linearization: reducing distortion in power amplifiers," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 2, No. 4, 37-49, Dec. 2001.
4. Kim, J. and K. Konstantinou, "Digital predistortion of wideband signals based on power amplifier model with memory," IEE Electronic Letters, Vol. 37, No. 23, 1417-1418, Nov. 2001.
5. Raich, R., H. Qian, and G. T. Zhou, "Orthogonal polynomials for power amplifier modeling and predistorter design," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1468-1479.
6. Gilabert, P., G. Montoro, and E. Bertran, On the Wiener and Hammerstein models for power amplifier predistortion, Microwave Conference Proceedings, APMC 2005, Asia-Pacific, Dec. 2005.
7. Liu, T., S. Boumaiza, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Augmented Hammerstein predistorter for linearization of broad-band wireless transmitters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1340-1349, Apr. 2000.
8. Morgan, D., Z. Ma, J. Kim, M. Zierdt, and J. Pastalan, "A generalized memory polynomial model for digital predistortion of RF power amplifiers ," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3852-3860, Oct. 2006.
9. Ding, Y. and A. Sano, An adaptive predistortion for nonlinear amplifier in OFDM communication systems, IET International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, 1-4, Nov. 2006.
10. Qian, Y., F. Liu, and Y. Huang, A simplified predistortion linearization scheme for power amplifiers with memory, IET Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Sensor Networks, 869-872, Dec. 2007.
11. Ai, B., Z. D. Zhong, G. Zhu, R. T. Xu, and Z. Q. Li, "Two-dimensional indexing polynomial-based pre-distorter for power amplifiers with memory effects," IET Commun., Vol. 2, No. 10, 1263-1271, Nov. 2008.
12. Zhu, A., J. Pedro, and T. Cunha, "Pruning the Volterra series for behavioral modeling of power amplifiers using physical knowledge," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 5, 813-821, May 2007.
13. Crespo-Cadenas, C., J. Reina-Tosina, and M. J. Madero-Ayora, "Volterra behavioral model for wideband RF amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 3, 449-457, Mar. 2007.
14. Isaksson, M. and D. Ronnow, "A parameter-reduced Volterra model for dynamic RF power amplifier modeling based on orthonormal basis functions," Int. J. RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Eng., Vol. 17, No. 6, 348-359, Jan. 2006.
15. Hammi, O., S. Carichner, B. Vassilakis, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Synergetic crest factor reduction and baseband digital predistor-tion for adaptive 3G Doherty power amplifier linearizer design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2602-2608, Nov. 2008.
16. Hammi, O., S. Carichner, B. Vassilakis, and F. M. Ghannouchi, Novel approach for static nonlinear behavior identification in RF power amplifiers exhibiting memory effects, 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS'2008), 1521-1524, Atlanta, GA, USA, June 2008.
17. Hammi, O., S. Carichner, B. Vassilakis, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Power amplifiers' model assessment and memory effects intensity quanti¯cation using memoryless post-compensation technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3170-3179, Dec. 2008.