We introduce a new slot resonator in the ground plane of a microstrip that is loaded with a parallel plate capacitor. The loaded slot has a 73% reduced length. Its unloaded Q-factor is 98 which is 91% higher than that of an ordinary slot. It is suitable to reject the narrow band unwanted signal. The proposed high Q-factor compact slot resonator also suppresses the undesired spurious high frequency response of the unloaded slot resonator. The structure is further used to determine the unknown dielectric constant of a sheet material with 0.04 variation in εr.
2. Abdel-Rahman, A., A. K. Verma, A. Boutejdar, and A. Omar, "Control of band stop response of hi-low microstrip lowpass filter using slot in ground plane," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 3, 1008-1013, Mar. 2004.
3. Balalem, A., A. R. Ali, J. Machac, and A. Omar, "Quasi-elliptic microstrip low-pass filters using an interdigital DGS slot," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, 586-588, Aug. 2007.
4. Ting, S. W., K. W. Tam, and R. P. Martins, "Miniaturized microstrip lowpass filter with wide stopband using double equilateral U-shaped defected ground structure ," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, 240-242, May 2006.
5. Wang , X. H., B. Z. Wang, H. Zhang, and K. J. Chen, "A tunable band-stop resonator based on a compact slotted ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 9, 1912-1918, 2007.
6. Wang, C. J. and C. S. Lin, "Compact DGS resonator with improvement of Q-factor," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 15, 908-909, 2008.
7. Computer Simulation Technology, Microwave Studio, Version-5.
8. Shen, G. and D. Budimir, "High-Q dielectric combline resonator with wide spurious free performance," Proceedings of the International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference IMOC, 409-411, Nov. 2003.
9. Tavernier, A. C., R. M. Henderson, and J. Papapolymerou, "A reduced-size silicon micromachined high-Q resonator at 5.7 GHz," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2305-2314, Oct. 2002.
10. Woo, D. J., T. K. Lee, J. W. Lee, C. S. Pyo, and W. K. Choi, "Novel U-slot and V-slot DGSs for bandstop filter with improved Qfactor," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2840-2847, Jun. 2006.
11. Baker-Jarvis, J., R. G. Geyer, J. H. Grosvenor, Jr., M. D. Janezic, C. A. Jones, B. Riddle, C. M. Weil, and J. Krupka, "Dielectric characterization of low-loss materials a comparison of techniques," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 5, No. 4, 571-577, Aug. 1998.
12. Williams, T. C., M. A. Stuchly, and P. Saville, "Modified transmission-reflection method for measuring constitutive parameters of thin flexible high-loss materials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1560-1566, May 2003.
13. Kang, B., J. Cho, C. Cheon, and Y. Kwon, "Nondestructive measurement of complex permittivity and permeability using multilayered coplanar waveguide structures ," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 5, 381-383, May 2005.
14. Egorov, V. N., V. L. Masalov, Y. A. Nefyodov, A. F. Shevchun, M. R. Trunin, V. E. Zhitomirsky, and M. McLean, "Dielectric constant, loss tangent, and surface resistance of PCB materials at K-band frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 2, 627-635, Feb. 2005.
15. Verma, A. K. and Nasimuddin, "Nondestructive measurement of complex permittivity of sheet material," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 6, 483-486, Mar. 2003.
16. Verma, A. K., Nasimuddin, and A. Omar, "Microstrip resonator sensors for determination of complex permittivity of materials in sheet, liquid and paste forms ," IEE Trans. Microwave, Antenna and Propagation, 47-54, Feb. 2005.