A large bandwidth wide-slot antenna, fed by coplanar waveguide (CPW), is proposed. Experimental investigations and detailed simulations are conducted to understand its behavior and to optimize for broadband operation. The impedance bandwidth, determined by 10-dB return loss of the proposed slot antenna using both measurement and simulation, is about 131% (2.8 to 14 GHz). In addition to be small in size, the antenna has low cross polarization, relatively high gain, and it exhibits stable far-field radiation characteristics in the entire operating bandwidth. The design with very wide operating bandwidth and improved radiation pattern is obtained by properly choosing the suitable slot shape, selecting similar feed patch shape, and tuning their dimensions. Numerical sensitivity analysis has been used to understand the effects of changes of various antenna dimensions and to optimize the performance of the designed antenna. Based on our computer simulations it is shown that the antenna dimensions parameters have uncorrelated effects on the upper edge of the bandwidth. Simulation results show that the impedance matching of this kind of antenna is sensitive to the feed-slot combination and feed gap width. The simulated and measured results for return loss, far-field E-plane and H-plane radiation patterns, and gain of the designed antenna are presented and discussed.
2. Pu, L. and X.-M. Zhang, "Design of a low-profile dual exponentially tapered slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 67-74, 2009.
3. Eldesouki, E. M. A. and K. F. A. Hussein, "Circularly polarized arrays of cavity backed slot antennas for X-band satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 179-198, 2008.
4. Chiou, J.-Y, J.-Y. Sze, and K.-L. Wong, "A broad-band CPW-fed strip-loaded square slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 4, 719-721, April 2003.
5. Sze, J. Y. and K. L. Wong, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line-fed printed wide-slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, 1020-1024, 2001.
6. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-fed T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007.
7. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006.
8. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005.
9. Jang, Y. W., "Experimental study of large bandwidth three-offset micro stripline-fed slot antenna," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 11, 425-426, 2001.
10. Kim, M. K., Y. H. Suh, and I. Park, "A T-shaped microstrip line-fed wide-slot antenna," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 1500-1503, 2000.
11. Rao, P. H., "Feed effects on the dimensions of wide-band slot antennas," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 40, 77-79, 2004.
12. Rao, P. H., V. F. Fusco, and R. Cahill, "Linearly polarized radial stub fed high performance wide-band slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, 335-337, 2001.
13. Jang, Y. W., "Broadband cross-shaped microstrip-fed slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, 2056-2057, 2000.
14. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas fed by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
15. Liu, W. C. and C. F. Hsu, "CPW-fed notched monopole antenna for umts/imt-2000/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 841-851, 2007.
16. Bhobe, A. U., C. L. Holloway, M. Piket-May, and R. Hall, "Wide-band slot antennas with CPW feed lines: Hybrid and log-periodic designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2545-2554, October 2004.
17. Lin, X. C. and C.-C. Yu, "A dual-band CPW-fed inductive slot-monopole hybrid antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 282-285, January 2008.
18. Chen, J.-S., "Dual-frequency annular-ring slot antennas fed by CPW feed and microstrip line feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 569-573, January 2005.
19. Song, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-fed triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.
20. Chiou, J. -Y., J.-Y. Sze, K.-L. Wong, "A broad-band CPW-fed strip-loaded square slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 719-721, April 2003.
21. Soliman, E. A., S. Brebels, E. Beyne, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "CPW-fed cusp antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, 288-290, August 1999.
22. Miao, M., B. L. Ooi, and P. S. Kooi, "Broadband CPW-fed wide slot antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 25, 206-211, May 2000.
23. Bhobe, A. U., C. L. Holloway, and M. Piket-May, "CPW fed wide-band hybrid slot antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 636-639, July 2000.
24. Chen, H.-D., "Broadband CPW-fed square slot antenna with a widened tuning stub," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1982-1986, August 2003.
25. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Ultrawide-band coplanar waveguide-fed rectangular slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 227-229, 2004.
26. Yu, C.-C. and X.-C. Lin, "A wideband single chip inductor-loaded CPW-fed inductive slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 5, 1498-1501, May 2008.
27. Rodrigo, C. R. and W. J. Robert, "A highly integrated millimeter-wave active antenna array using BCB and silicon substrate," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1648-1653, June 2004.
28. Sze, J. Y. and K. L. Wong, "Slotted rectangular microstrip antenna for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1149-1152, 2000.