This paper presents a coplanar composite right-left handed zeroth-order resonator (CRLH CPW ZOR) and a coplanar composite right-left handed transmission line (CRLH CPW TL). These devices are realized using an elementary cell designed in a coplanar waveguide configuration on alumina substrate. Additional lumped elements are carried out with an interdigital series capacitor and a short-circuited stub inductor as a shunt. The CRLH CPW ZOR is fabricated and analyzed using equivalent circuit modeling and three dimensional finite element method. The proposed devices are fabricated and measured. The resonator has a measured insertion loss of 2.7 dB and a return loss better than 13dB. The length of the proposed device is only 5.2 mm; this very small size compared with a traditional half wave resonator shows the interest of this kind of approach.
2. Shelby, R., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, Apr., 2001.
3. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley, 2006.
4. Eleftheriades, G. V., A. K. Iyer, and P. C. Kremer, "Planar negative refractive index media using periodically L-C loaded transmission lines," IEEE. Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 2702-2712, 2002.
5. Caloz, C., A. Sanada, and T. Itoh, "Microwave applications of transmission-line based negative refractive index structures," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2003.
6. Caloz, C., A. Sanada, and T. Itoh, "Microwave circuits based on negative refraction index material structures," 33rd European Microwave Conference, 105-110, Munich, 2003.
7. Sanada, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Novel zeroth-order resonance in composite right/left-handed transmission line resonators," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2003.
8. Caloz, C., T. Itoh, and A. Renning, "CRLH metamaterial leaky-wave and resonant antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magasing, Vol. 50, No. 5, 25-39, Oct., 2008.
9. Gao, J. and L. Zhu, "Characterization of infinite- and finite-extent coplanar waveguide metamaterials with varied left-and right-handed passbands," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 805-807, Nov., 2005.
10. Li, C., K. Y. Liu, and F. Li, "Analysis of composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide zeroth-order resonators with application to a band-pass filter," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 599-602, 2007.
11. Li, L. and D. Uttamchandani, "Demonstration of tunable RF MEMS bandpass filter using silicon foundry process," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 23, No. 2--3, 405-413, 2009.
12. Gevorgian, S., T. Martinsson, P. Linner, and E. Kolberg, "CAD models for multilayered substrate interdigital capacitors," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 896-904, 1996.
13. Simons, R., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components and Systems, Wiley, New York, 2001.
14. Ghione, G., "A CAD-oriented analytical model for the losses of general asymmetric coplanar lines in hybrid and monolithic MICs," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 1499-1510, 1993.
15. Dib, N., "Comprehensive study of CAD models of several coplanar waveguide (CPW) discontinuities," IEE Proceeding Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, No. 2, 69-76, Apr.， 2005.
16. Ghione, G. and C. Naldi, "Coplanar waveguides for MMIC application: Effect of upper shielding, conductor backing, finitextent ground plane and line-to-line coupling," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 3, 260-267, Mar., 1987.