In this paper, a modified square monopole antenna with multi-resonance performance, for UWB applications is proposed. The proposed antenna consists of a square radiating patch with a pair of T-shaped slots and a ground plane with a pair of rectangular sleeve and a T-shaped resonator which provides a wide usable fractional bandwidth of more than 125% (3.05-13.57 GHz). By optimizing dimension of rectangular sleeves, T-shaped slots and resonator, the total bandwidth of the antenna is greatly improved. The designed antenna has a small size of 14×22 mm2. Good return loss and radiation pattern characteristics are obtained in the frequency band of interest. Simulated and experimental results are presented to demonstrate the performance of a suggested antenna.
2. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
3. Ojaroudi, M., "Printed monopole antenna with a novel band notched folded trapezoid for ultrawideband applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 23, No. 17--18, 2513-2522, 2009.
4. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstripfed two-step taperedmonopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
5. Kerkhoff, A. J., R. L. Rogers, and H. Ling, "Design and analysis of planar monopole antennas using a genetic algorithm approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 2, 1768-1771, Jun., 2004.
6. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra wideband microstrip-fed tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 59-69, 2006.
7. Ojaroudi, M., G. Kohneshahri, and J. Noory, "Small modified monopole antenna for UWB application," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 863-869, Aug., 2009.
8. Ojaroudi, M., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Small square monopole antenna with inverted T-shaped notch in the ground plane for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 728-731, 2009.
9. Ojaroudi, M., G. Ghanbari, N. Ojaroudi, and C. Ghobadi, "Small square monopole antenna for UWB applications with variable frequency band-notch function," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1061-1064, 2009.
10. Ojaroudi, M., H. Ebrahimian, C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Small microstrip-fed monopole printed monopole antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 52, No. 8, Aug., 2010.
11. Amini, F., M. N. Azarmanesh, and M. Ojaroudi, "Small semicircle-like slot antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 149-158, 2010.
12. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstrip fed monopole antenna," IEEE Microwave Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 703-705, Oct., 2005.
13. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS), Ver. 10, Ansoft Corporation, 2005,.