In this paper, a novel type of stacked microstrip patch antenna is presented in which fractal shaped defects have been excoriated from the patch surfaces. The antenna has been designed for dual band operation at the WLAN 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency bands and size reduction for both the stacked patches is achieved due to the use of fractal shaped defects. The antenna was simulated using CST Microwave Studio 2010 and optimized using Particle Swarm Optimization (inbuilt in CST). The fabricated antenna's measurement results were found to be in good agreement with the simulated results.
2. Sinati, R. A., CAD of Microstrip Antennas for Wireless Applications, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1996.
3. Wang, H. Y. and M. J. Lancaster, "Aperture-coupled thin film superconducting meander antennas," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 829-836, 1999.
4. Waterhouse, R., Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2007.
5. Anguera, J., L. Boada, C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Stacked H-shaped microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propogation, Vol. 52, No. 4, April, 2004.
6. Kordzadeh, A. and F. Hojat Kashani, "A new reduced size microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 29-37, 2009.
7. Sanad, M. and N. Hassan, "Mobile cellular/GPS/satellite Mobile cellular/GPS/satellite," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 298-301, Salt Lake City, UT, July, 2000.
8. Moleiro, A., J. Rosa, R. Nunes, and C. Peixeiro, "Dual band microstrip patch antenna element with parasitic for GSM," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Int. Symp., Vol. 4, 2188-2191, Salt Lake City, UT, July, 2000.
9. Zhong, S. S. and J. H. Cui, "Compact dual-frequency microstrip antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Int. Symp., Vol. 4, 2196-2199, Salt Lake City, UT, July, 2000.
10. Tiwari, H. and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Design studies of stacked U-slot microstrip patch antenna for dual band operation," 35th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, 2010 (Accepted).