This research uses innovative approaches for characterizing spring probes, a final-test bottleneck applied to microwave packaging. The modeling method depends on conventional microwave on-wafer measurement. This paper compares the novel microwave 3D direct calibration and measurement to observe the issues of spring probe reliability. We makes the key component of a novel approach to 3D calibration and measurement, the double-sided thru calibration element with delay time delivers from 3D EM simulation. The current study compares the modeling method and 3D direct measurement to prove the capability of the latter and presents the reliability about compressing distance of spring probes.
2. Barnes, H., J. Moreira, H. Ossoinig, M. Wollitzer, T. Schmid, and T. Ming, "Development of a pogo pin assembly and via design for multi-gigabit interfaces on automated test equipment," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2006. APMC 200, 381-384, 2006.
3. Szendrenyi, B. B., H. Barnes, J. Moreira, M. Wollitzer, T. Schmid, and T. Ming, "Addressing the broadband crosstalk challenges of pogo pin type interfaces for high-density high-speed digital applications," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 2007, 2209-2212, 2007.
4. Sun, R.-B., C.-Y. Wen, Y.-C. Chang, and R.-B. Wu, "A new isolation structure for crosstalk reduction of pogo pins in a test socket," IEEE 18th Conference on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging and Systems, 2009. EPEPS'09, 227-230, 2009.
5. Sun, R.-B., R.-B.Wu, and S.-W. Haiso, "Compromised impedance match design for signal integrity of pogo pins structures with different signal-ground patterns," IEEE Workshop on Signal Propagation on Interconnects, 2009. SPI'09, 1-4, 2009.
6. Horng, T. S., S. M. Wu, and C. Shih, "Electrical modeling of RFIC packages up to 12 GHz," 1999 Proceedings. 49th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 867-872, 1999.
7. Mukerji, S. K., G. K. Singh, S. K. Goel, and S. Manuja, "A theoretical study of electromagnetic transients in a large conducting plate due to current impact excitation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 15-29, 2007.
8. Mukerji, S. K., G. K. Singh, S. K. Goel, and S. Manuja, "A theoretical study of electromagnetic transients in a large plate due to voltage impact excitation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 377-392, 2008.
9. Kruppa, W. and K. F. Sodomsky, "An explicit solution for the scattering parameters of a linear two-port measured with an imperfect test set (Correspondence)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 19, 122-123, 1971.
10. Hiebel, M., Fundamentals of Vector Network Analysis, 1 Ed., Rohde & Schwarz, 2007.