In this paper, a stacked ring-patch two layer planar artificial substrate is analyzed numerically and is shown to possess the properties of a high impedance surfaces (HIS). Its properties are evaluated by investigating the surface wave propagation and plane wave reflection characteristics. Its application to reduce the mutual coupling of microstrip antennas and to improve the radiation pattern are investigated by simulation tool CST microwave studio. Experimental measurements using a pair of monopoles are used to confirm the surface waves suppression band. One of the main advantages of the proposed geometry is that it is simple and planar in nature, without the need for any via connections across dielectric layers and thus can be realized by planar technologies. Another advantage is that it exhibits over lapped surface wave suppression and in-phase reflection bands. Also it can be scalable to operate in different frequency range.
2. Li, L., Q. Chen, and Q. Yuan, "Surface wave suppression band gap and plane wave reflection phase band of mushroomlike photonic band gap structure," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, No. 2, 023513-023513-10, 2008.
3. Luukkonen, O., A. B. Yakovlev, and C. R. Simovski, "Comparative study of surface waves on high-impedance surfaces with and without vias," Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, paper s326p3, San Diego, Jul. 5-12, 2008.
4. Yang, F. and A. Aminian, "A novel surface-wave antenna design using a thin periodically loaded ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 3, 240-245, Sep. 2005.
5. Simovski, C. R., "High-impedance surfaces having stable resonance with respect to polarization and incidence angle," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 908-914, Mar. 2005.
6. McVay, J. and N. Engheta, "High impedance metamaterial surfaces using Hilbert-curve inclusions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 3, 130-132, Mar. 2004.
7. Abedin, M. F., M. Z. Azad, and M. Ali, "Wideband smaller unit-cell planar EBG structures and their application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 903-908, Mar. 2008.
8. Pendry, J. B. and D. R. Smith, "Reversing light: Negative refraction," Physics Today, Vol. 57, No. 6, 37-44, 2004.