In this paper, a time domain analysis for ultra-wideband short pulse radiation from wire monopole antennas and their arrays is presented. The pulse travels along the monopole antenna and reflects from the open end; during the pulse reflection, the pulse gets compressed. The analysis presented in this paper accounts for the pulse compression and the radiated pulse is compared with the measured pulse. Measured energy patterns for different pulse excitations of the monopole and monopole arrays are presented and compared with theoretical patterns.
2. Kanda, M., "Time-domain sensors and radiators," Time-domain Measurements in Electromagnetics, E. K. Miller (ed.), Ch. 5, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1986.
3. Griffith, H. D. and A. L. Cullen, "Sidelobe response of antennas to short pulse signals," IEEE Radar Conference, 85-90, 2003.
4. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley, 1982.
5. Samaddar, S. N. and E. L. Mokole, "Transient behavior of radiated and received fields associated with a resistively loaded dipole," Ultra-wideband, Short-pulse Electromagnetics 4, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
6. Wu, T. T. and R. W. P. King, "The cylindrical antenna with non-reflecting resistive loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 13, 369-373, 1965.
7. Cerny, P. and M. Mazanek, "Simulated transient radiation characteristics of optimized ultra wideband printed dipole antennas," 17th Int. Conf. Radioelektronika, Brno, Czech Republic, Apr. 24-25, 2007.
8. Hartmann, R. B. and J. R. Bray, Investigation of planar resonant dipole antennas for continuous-wave and ultra-wideband radar modes, 13th ANTEM / URSI Conf., Banff, Alberta, Feb. 15-18, 2009.
9. Krauss, J. D., Electromagnetics, 4th Ed., McGraw Hill, 1992.
10. Smith, G. S., "Teaching antenna radiation from a time-domain perspective," Am. J. Phys., Vol. 69, 829-844, 2001.
11. Tan, A. E.-C. and M. Y.-W. Chia, "Sub-nanosecond pulse forming network on SiGe BiCMOS for UWB communications," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 54, 1019-1024, 2006.