The package design for microwave sub-systems requires adequate knowledge of electromagnetic field distribution inside the package housing. The cavity resonance of the microwave amplifier not only degrades the electrical performance, the feedback through the resonance mode also can cause unwanted oscillation in the frequency band of interest. It may even result in catastrophic failure of the device, wherein the peak oscillating voltage exceeds the device breakdown voltage. Hence, comprehensive analysis of the package effects is one of the prime requirements for stable microwave amplifier design for high-rel applications. This paper describes modeling, analysis of the package and different mitigation techniques to make stable, resonance free microwave amplifier for a C-band spaceborne SAR payload.
1. Dhar, J., S. K. Garg, R. K. Arora, and S. S. Rana, Nonlinear model based power amplifier, IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference, 1-4, 2009.
2. Yook, J. G., L. P. B. Katehi, R. N. Simons, and K. A. Shalkhauser, "Experimental and theoretical study of parasitic leakage/resonance in a K/Ka-band MMIC package," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, No. 12, Dec. 1996. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1996.556438
3. Decker, D. R., H. M. Olson, R. Tatikola, R. Gutierrez, and N. R. Mysoor, "Multichip MMIC package for X and Ka bands," IEEE Tansactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Part B, Vol. 20, No. 1, Feb. 1997.
4. Chen, H. and Y. Zhang, "A synthetic design of eliminating crosstalk within MLTS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 211-221, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07070603
5. Xiao, F. and Y. Kami, "Modeling and analysis of crosstalk between di®erential lines in high-speed interconnects," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1293-1297, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070320011226
6. Bernadi, P., R. Cicchetti, G. Pelosi, A. Reatti, S. Selleri, and M. Tatini, "An equivalent circuit for EMI prediction in printed circuit boards featuring a straight-to-bent microstrip line coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 107-118, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08020502
7. Nie, X. C., N. Yuan, L. W. Li, and Y. B. Gan, "Accurate modeling of monopole antennas in shielded enclosures with apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 251-262, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100403
8. Lei, J.-Z., C.-H. Liang, and Y. Zhang, "Study on shielding effectiveness of metallic cavities with apertures by combining parallel FDTD method of windowing technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 82-112, 2007.
9. Bahadorzadeh, M. and A. R. Attari, "Improving the shielding effectiveness of a rectangular metallic enclosure with aperture by using extra shielding wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 45-50, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07110706
10. Robertson, J., E. A. Parker, B. Sanz-Izquierdo, and J. C. Batchelor, "Electromagnetic coupling through arbitrary apertures in parallel conducting planes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 29-42, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08042503
11. Hattori, H. T., "Fractal like square lattices of air holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 9-16, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08040705
12. Maab, H. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Fractional rectangular cavity resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 69-82, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08070101
13. Dhar, J., S. K. Garg, R. Singhal, R. K. Arora, and S. S. Rana, Non-linear design, package analysis and thermal design of C-band CW power amplifier, Proc. of International Conference on Computers and Devices for Communication (CODEC-06), Institute of Radiophysics and Electronics, University of Calcutta, Dec. 18-20, 2006.
14. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator, Version 10, User's Manual.
15. Dhar, J., S. K. Garg, R. K. Arora, and S. S. Rana, "Performance enhancement of pulsed solid state power amplifier using drain modulation over gate modulation ," International Symposium on Signals, Circuits and Systems, 1-4, Jul. 9-10, 2009.