This paper presents an optimal power pattern synthesis procedure able to tackle the mutual coupling and platform effiects even for electrically large arrays. The novelty of the approach is due to its capability to account in the synthesis procedure for two different aspects at the same time: the coupling between the array radiating elements and the coupling between these elements and the array platform. The mutual coupling evaluation is based on the active element pattern method, and the active element pattern is numerically computed. The kind of synthesis problems here addressed belongs to the class of convex optimization problems. Therefore, the solution is found by means of very efficient convex programming tools, without requiring global optimization schemes, thus saving time and costs. The extension of the overall tool to adaptive arrays is also considered.
1. Fabrizio, G., F. Colone, P. Lombardo, and A. Farina, Passive radar in the high frequency band, 2008 IEEE Radar Conference, Rome, Italy, May 26-30, 2008.
2. Malanowski, M. and K. Kulpa, Digital beamforming for passive coherent location radar, 2008 IEEE Radar Conference, 1-6, Rome, May 26-30, 2008.
3. Griffiths, H. D. and C. J. Baker, "Passive coherent location radar systems, part 1: performance prediction," IEEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 152, 153-159, June 3, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20045082
4. Poullin, D. and M. Flecheux, Recent progress in passive coherent location (PCL) concepts and technique in France using DAB or FM broadcasters, 2008 IEEE Radar Conference, 1-5, Rome, May 26-30, 2008.
5. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Science Engineering, 2003.
6. Skolnik, M. I., Radar Handbook, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
7. Farina, A., Antenna-Based Signal Processing Techniques for Radar Systems, Artech House, Boston, London, 1992.
8. Brooker, E., Practical Phased Array Antenna Systems, Part 2, Antenna Array Fundamentals, Artech House Inc., Norwood, MA, 1991.
9. Demarcke, P., H. Rogier, R. Goossens, and P. De Jaeger, "Beamforming in the presence of the mutual coupling based on constrained particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 1655-1666, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019923
10. Hill, D. A., "A numerical method for near-field synthesis," IEEE Trans. Electromgnetic Compatibility, Vol. 27, No. 4, 201-211, November 1985. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1985.304291
11. Fenn, A. J., C. J. Diederich, and P. R. Stauffer, "An adaptive-focusing algorithm for a microwave planar phased-array hyperthermia system," Lincoln Lab. J., Vol. 6, No. 2, 269-288, 1993.
12. Fenn, A. J., "Evaluation of adaptive phased array antenna far field nulling performances in the near field region," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 2, 173-185, November 1990. doi:10.1109/8.45119
13. Isernia, T. and G. Panariello, "Optimal focusing of scalar fields subject to arbitrary upper bounds," Electronic Letter, Vol. 34, No. 2, 162-164, January 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980212
14. Bucci, O. M., L. Caccavale, and T. Isernia, "Optimal focusing of uniformly spaced arrays subject to arbitrary upper bounds in nontarget directions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 11, 1539-1554, November 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.803959
15. D'Urso, M. and T. Isernia, "Solving some array synthesis problem by means of an effective hybrid approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 750-759, March 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891554
16. Balanis, A. C., J. Glen, and P. Jameson, Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, J. Wiley & Sons, New York, Chichester, Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, 1997.
17. Oliner, A. A. and R. G. Malech, "Mutual coupling in infinite scanning arrays," Microwave Scanning Antennas, 195-335, R. C. Hansen, Academic Press, New York, 1996.
18. Allen, J. L., "Gain and impedance variation in scanned dipole arrays ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, 556-573, September 1962.
19. Aumann, H. M., A. J. Fenn, and F. G. Willwerth, "Phased array antenna calibration and pattern prediction using mutual coupling measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, 844-850, July 1989.
20. Parad, L., "Some mutual impedance effects in phased array," Microwave J., Vol. 5, 87-89, June 1962.
21. Wasyikiwsyj, W. and K. Kahn, "Element patterns and active reflection coefficient in uniform phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, 207-212, March 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140756
22. Kelley, D. F. and W. L. Stutzman, "Array antenna pattern modeling methods that include mutual coupling effects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 12, 1625-1632, December 1993. doi:10.1109/8.273305
23. Huang, Z., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Mutual coupling compensation in UCAs: Simulations and experiment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3082-3086, November 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.883989
26. Caccavale, L., T. Isernia, and F. Soldovieri, "Methods for optimal focusing of microstrip array antennas including mutual coupling," Microwave Antennas and Propagation, IEE Proceedings, Vol. 147, No. 3, 1350-2417, June 2000.
27. Su, T. and H. Ling, "Array beamforming in the presence of a mounting tower using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2011-2019, June 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848449
28. Su, T. and H. Ling, "A model for the active element pattern of array elements including both mutual coupling and platform effects," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 4, 2130-2133, 2000.
29. Obelleiro, F., L. Landesa, J. M. Taboada, and J. L. Rodriguez, "Synthesis of onboard array antennas including interaction with the mounting platform and mutual coupling effects," Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, No. 2, 76-82, April 2001. doi:10.1109/74.924606
30. Bucci, O., M. D'Urso, and T. Isernia, "Some facts and challenges in array antenna synthesis problems," Journal for Control, Measurement, Electronics, Computing and Communications, Vol. 49, 13-20, Dubrovnik, May 2008.
31. Gabriel, W. F., Adaptive arrays --- An introduction, Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 64, No. 2, February 1976.
32. Widrow, B., Adaptive antenna systems, Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 55, 2143-2159, December 1967.
33. Ellingson, S. W. and G. A. Hampson, "A subspace-tracking approach to interference nulling for phased array-based radio telescopes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 1, 25-30, January 2002. doi:10.1109/8.992558
34. Ellingson, S. W. and W. Cazemier, "Efficient multibeam synthesis with interferencing for large arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 503-511, March 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809840
35. Ellingson, S. W., "Beamforming and interference canceling with very large wideband arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1338-1346, June 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.812237