The broadband microstrip antenna is realized by cutting the slot inside the patch. The slot introduces a resonant mode near the fundamental resonance frequency of the antenna and realizes broadband response. The compact variations of circular microstrip antenna are realized by placing the shorting posts along the zero field line at the fundamental mode. These shortened antennas have narrower bandwidth. In this paper, a compact half U-slot cut shorted sectoral microstrip antenna is proposed. The detailed analysis has been carried out to study the effect of the slot on various modes of the Sectoral patch. It has been observed that the half U-slot does not introduce any additional mode, but reduces the resonance frequency of the higher order mode of the shorted Sectoral patch and along with its fundamental mode realizes broader bandwidth. The bandwidth of more than 700 MHz, at the center frequency of approximately 2700 MHz, has been realized.
1. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA, 2002.
2. Huynh, T. and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-1312, Aug. 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19950950
3. Wong, K. L. and W. H. Hsu, "A broadband rectangular patch antenna with a pair of wide slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 49, 1345-1347, Sep. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.951507
4. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and Y. L. Chow, "Double U-slot rectangular patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 1805-1806, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19981283
5. Lee, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Tong, S. M. Shum, T. Huynh, and R. Q. Lee, "Experimental and simulation studies of the coaxially fed U-slot rectangular patch antenna," IEE Proceedings --- Microwave Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 144, No. 5, 354-358, 1997. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19971334
6. Tong, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broadband U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.865229
7. Weigand, S., G. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernhard, "Analysis and design of broadband single layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809836
8. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Broadband and compact V-slot loaded RMSAs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 17, 951-952, Aug. 17, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20061141
9. Knorr, J. B. and J. Saenz, "End effect in a shorted slot," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Techniques, 579-580, Sep. 1973. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1973.1128074
10. Chair, R., K. F. Lee, C. L. Mak, K. M. Luk, and A. A. Kishk, "Miniature wideband half U-slot and half E patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 8, 2645-2652, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851852
11. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Compact broadband U-slot loaded rectangular microstrip antennas," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 6, 556-559, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21049
12. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Compact broadband E-shaped microstrip antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 18, 989-990, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20051789
13. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Even mode multi-port network model for slotted dual band rectangular microstrip antennas," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 4, 798-804, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21479
14. Daniel, A. E. and R. K. Shevgaonkar, "Slot-loaded rectangular microstrip antenna for tunable dual-band operation," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 441-444, Mar. 5, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20661
15. Lu, J. H., "Single feed dual frequency rectangular microstrip antenna with pair step slots," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 5, 354-355, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19990277
16. Boyle, K. R. and P. J. Massey, "Nine band antenna system for mobile phones," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 5, 265-266, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20060061
17. Lee, K. F., S. L. S. Yang, A. A. Kishk, and K. M. Luk, "The versatile U-slot patch," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 1, 71-88, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5466402
18. Deshmukh, A. A., K. P. Ray, T. Sonwadkar, S. Varawalla, and R. Kataria, "Formulation of resonance frequency for multi-band circular microstrip antennas," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 5, No. 5, 248-256, Sep. 2010.
19. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, USA, 2003.
20. IE3D 12.1, Zeland Software, Freemont, USA, 2004.
21. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design,", John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1996.