This paper presents the development of a standard surface mountable ceramic ball grid array (CBGA) package with an integrated patch antenna in low temperature cofired ceramic (LTCC) technology for emerging single-chip 60-GHz radios. It addresses the challenges of low-loss wire bonding interconnections required between the chip and the antenna as well as the package to allow efficient utilization of available space for miniaturization. The compact package of size 12.5×8×1.265 mm3 achieves good electrical performance. For instance, the package part exhibits insertion loss <0.08 dB, return loss >22 dB, and attenuation rate <0.2 dB/cm below 5 GHz; while the antenna part demonstrates 8-GHz impedance bandwidth and 8±2 dBi peak realized gain at 60 GHz. Simulated and measured results are compared. They agree reasonably well, indicating the feasibility of designing and manufacturing the integrated antenna package in LTCC for millimeter-wave applications.
4. Pfeiffer, U., J. Grzyp, D. Liu, B. Gaucher, T. Beukema, B. Floyd, and S. Reynolds, "A chip-scale packaging technology for 60-GHz wireless chipsets," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 8, 3387-3397, August 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20020937
5. Kam, D. G., et al., "LTCC packages with embedded phased-array antennas for 60 GHz communications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 3, 142-144, March 2011.
6. Zhang, Y. P., T. K. C. Lo, and Y. Hwang, A dielectric loaded miniature antenna for microcellular and personal communications, Proc. of IEEE Antenna Propagat. Symp., 1152-1155, Newport Beach, California, USA, June 18-23, 1995. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834427
7. Zhang, Y. P., "Integration of microstrip antenna on cavity-down ceramic ball grid array package," Electronics Lett., Vol. 38, No. 22, 1307-1308, October 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879191
8. Ryckaert, J., et al., "Single-package 5 GHz WLAN RF module with embedded patch antenna and 20dBm power amplifier," Digest of IEEE MTT-S Int. Symp., 1037-1040, 2003.
9. Zhang, Y. P., "Integrated ceramic ball grid array package antenna," IEEE Trans Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2538-2544, October 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20083352
10. Wi, S. H., et al., "Package-level integrated antennas based on LTCC technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2190-2197, 2006.
11. Tsutsumi, Y., et al., A triangular loop antenna mounted adjacent to a lossy Si substrate for millimeter-wave wireless PAN, Proc. of IEEE Antenna Propagat. Symp., 1008-1011, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, June 10-15, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.927577
12. Zhang, Y. P., M. Sun, K. M. Chua, L. L. Wai, and D. Liu, "Integration of slot antenna in LTCC package for 60-GHz radios," Electronics Lett., Vol. 44, No. 5, 330-331, March 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029290
13. Yoshida, S., K. Tsubouchi, A. Tosaki, H. Oguma, S. Kameda, H. Nakase, and T. Takagi, Radiation characteristics of ultra-small wireless communication modules for 60 GHz band WPAN, Proc. IEEE Antenna Propagat. Symp., San Diego, California, USA, July 5-12, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029295
14. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, K. M. Chua, L. L. Wai, D. X. Liu, and B. Gaucher, "Integration of Yagi antenna in LTCC package for differential 60-GHz radio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2780-2783, August 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2039031
15. Zhang, Y. P., M. Sun, K. M. Chua, L. L. Wai, and D. Liu, "Antenna-in-package design for wirebond interconnection to highly-integrated 60-GHz radios ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2842-2852, October 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09012901
16. Zhang, Y. P. and D. Liu, "Antenna-on-chip and antenna-in-package solutions to highly-integrated millimeter-wave devices for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2830-2841, October 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09080204
17. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, Y. X. Guo, K. M. Chua, and L. L. Wai, "Integration of grid array antenna in chip package for highly integrated 60-GHz radios ," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 1364-1366, 2009. doi:10.1109/22.915447
18. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
19. Islam, M. T., M. N. Shakib, and N. Misran, "Design analysis of high gain wideband L-probe FED microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 397-407, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09040701
20. Budka, T. P., "Wide-bandwidth millimeter-wave bond-wire interconnects," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 4, 715-718, April 2001. doi:10.1163/156939309788019949