A novel compact open-ended L-shaped slot antenna with asymmetrical rectangular patch is demonstrated and designed for UWB applications. With the open-ended L-shaped slot and an asymmetrical rectangular patch fed by the micro-strip line, multiple resonant frequencies are excited and merged to form a measured widen operating bandwidth of 3.01~11.30 GHz with 10 dB return loss. The fractional bandwidth can be enhanced from previous 32% (3~4.15 GHz) to 112% (3~10.66 GHz) among three different antenna types in simulations. The details and vital parameters of the proposed slot antenna are also illustrated. In addition, the proposed slot antenna exhibits a small size of 22×25 mm2, which makes it an excellent candidate for UWB systems and portable applications.
4. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. Geran, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06082901
5. Zhang, L., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and F.-S. Zhang, "A novel broadband CPW-fed asymmetrical slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2817-2820, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23826
6. Yeo, J. and D. Kim, "Harmonic suppression characteristic of a CPW-FED circular slot antenna using single slot on a ground conductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 11-19, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09072108
7. Chen, W.-L., G.-M. Wang, and C.-X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2176-2179, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021974
8. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 994-1003, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842674
9. Chen, W.-S. and K.-Y. Ku, "Broadband design of non-symmetric ground λ/4 open slot antenna with small size," Microwave J., Vol. 50, 110-121, 2007.
10. Chen, W.-S., F.-Y. Lin, and K.-C. Yang, "Studies of small openslot antennas for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp. Dig., 2008.
11. Lin, S.-Y. and B.-J. Ke, "Ultrawideband printed patch antenna in notch," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2080-2084, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24570
12. Jan, J.-Y. and J.-W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2111-2114, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848518
13. Wang, C.-J. and S.-W. Chang, "A technique of bandwidth enhancement for the slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3321-3324, October 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929542
14. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1267-1270, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2015859
15. Kim, H. and C.-W. Jung, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW fed tapered slot antenna with multi-transformation characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 15, 1050-1051, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1624
16. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, and L. Zhang, "A novel monopole antenna with a self-similar slot for wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 95-97, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.24873