In this paper, a novel maximum likelihood algorithm for joint angle and delay estimation is developed to identify the specular components of channel fading for uniform linear array based on the physical propagation channel model. Frequency domain presmoothing is applied to the structured frequency transfer matrix before the estimation procedure in order to utilize substantial observations. Iterative Gauss-Newton method is used to solve the multidimensional optimization problem, and a new compact matrix form is presented. Further simplification of the iteration is derived based on the assumption of independent channel parameters. Both simulations and measurement results are investigated for performance analysis. The simulations reveal that the proposed algorithm leads to higher performance with appropriate complexity. Also, a comparison with other algorithms is carried out to validate the accuracy of algorithm by using the power delay profile measured in a real environment, and the results show the proposed algorithm performs well.
2. Asplund, H., A. A. Glazunov, A. F. Molisch, K. I. Pedersen, and M. Steinbauer, "The COST 259 directional channel modelpart II: Macrocells ," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 5, No. 12, 3434-3450, 2006.
3. Calcev, G., D. Chizhik, B. Goransson, S. Howard, H. Huang, A. Kogiantis, A. Molisch, A. Moustakas, D. Reed, and H. Xu, "A wideband spatial channel model for system-wide simulations," IEEE Trans. on Vehicle Technology, Vol. 56, No. 2, 389-403, 2007.
4. Richter, A., "Estimation of radio channel parameters: Models and algorithms," Ph.D. Dissertation, Technische Universität Ilmenau, Ilmenau, Germany, 2005.
5. Salmi, J., A. Richter, and V. Koivunen, "Detection and tracking of MIMO propagation path parameters using state-space approach," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1538-1550, 2009.
6. Lemma, A. N., A.-J. van der Veen, and E. F. Deprettere, "Analysis of joint angle-frequency estimation using ESPRIT," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1264-1283, 2003.
7. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989.
8. Van der Veen, A.-J., M. C. Vanderveen, and A. J. Paulraj, "Joint angle and delay estimation using shift-invariance techniques," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 46, No. 2, 405-418, 1998.
9. Jaffer, A. G., "Maximum likelihood direction finding of stochastic sources: A separable solution ," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process. (ICASSP), 2893-2896, New York, USA, Apr. 11-14, 1988.
10. Zhang, X., G. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind direction of angle and time delay estimation algorithm for uniform linear array employing multi-invariance MUSIC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 11-20, 2010.
11. Stoica, P. and A. Nehorai, "Performance study of conditional and unconditional direction of arrival estimation," IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1783-1795, Oct. 1990.
12. Fleury, B. H., M. Tschudin, R. Heddergott, D. Dahlhaus, and K. Ingeman Pedersen, "Channel parameter estimation in mobile radio environments using the SAGE algorithm," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 17, No. 3, 434-450, 1999.
13. Landmann, M., "Limitations of experimental channel characterization," Ph.D. Dissertation, Technischen UniversitÄat Ilmenau, Il-menau, Germany, Mar. 2008.
14. Thoma, R. S., D. Hampicke, A. Richter, G. Sommerkorn, A. Schneider, U. Trautwein, and W. Wirnitzer, "Identification of time-variant directional mobile radio channels," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 49, No. 2, 357-364, 2000.
15. Hampicke, D., A. Richter, A. Schneider, G. Sommerkorn, and R. S. Thoma, "Statistical analysis of time-variant directional mobile radio channels based on wide-band measurements," Proc. European Wireless'99, 273-278, Munich, Germany, Oct. 1999.
16. Schneider, C., et al., "Multi-user MIMO channel reference data for channel modelling and system evaluation from measurements," Proc. Int. ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA 2009), Berlin, Germany, Feb. 16-19, 2009.
18. Van Trees, H. L., Optimum Array Processing: Part IV of Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2002.
19. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, 3rd Ed., Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996.