MVDR beamformer is one of the well-known adaptive beamforming techniques that offers the ability to resolve signals that are separated by a fraction of an antenna beamwidth. In an ideal scenario, the MVDR beamformer can not only minimize the array output power but also maintain a distortionless mainlobe response toward the desired signal. Unfortunately, the MVDR beamformer may have unacceptably low nulling level, which may lead to signicant performance degradation in the case of unexpected interfering signals. A new robust MVDR beamforming is presented to control the nulling level of adaptive antenna array. In this proposed approach, the beamforming optimization problem is formulated as a multi-parametric quadratic programming (mp-QP) problem such that the optimal weight vector can be easily obtained by real-valued computation. The presented method can guarantee that the nulling level are strictly below the prescribed threshold. Simulation results are presented to verify the efficiency of the proposed method.
2. Joseph, R. G., "Theory and application of covariance matrix tapers for robust adaptive beamforming," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 47, No. 4, 977-985, 1999. doi:10.1109/78.752596
3. Zatman, M., "Comments on \theory and application of covariance matrix tapers for robust adaptive beamforming," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1796-1800, 2000. doi:10.1109/78.845937
4. Liu, F. L., R. Y. Du, J. K.Wang, and B.Wang, "A robust adaptive control method for widening interference nulls," IET International Radar Conference, Guilin, China, 2009.
5. Liu, F. L., C. Y. Sun, and J. K. Wang, "An effective nulls control method based on semidefinite programming," NDCC, Qinhuangdao, China, 2010.
6. Liu, F. L., C. Y. Sun, J. K. Wang, and R. Y. Du, "A robust adaptive beamforming optimization control method via second-order cone programming for bistatic MIMO radar systems," ICIC Express Letters, Vol. 4, No. 5(B), 1823-1830, 2010.
7. Xing, Z. Q., "Transmitting beamforming technique with widen null based on zero space," Communications Technology, Vol. 40, No. 11, 22-24, 2007.
8. Yu, Z. K. and S. Y. Yang, "Research on the wide nulling algorithm," Applied Science and Technology, Vol. 33, No. 3, 1-3, 2006.
9. Xie, H., Y. Li, and Y. N. Zhao, "Research on widened nulling under drastic interference angle shaking," Applied Science and Technology, Vol. 34, No. 7, 34-37, 2007.
10. Zeng, Y. B., "Array pattern nulling by amplitude-only perturbations," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 28, No. 11, 2073-2076, 2006.
11. He, Q.-Q., H.-D. He, and H. Lan, "An efficient patterns syntheis method for cylindrical pahsed array antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 473-482, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787612329
12. Petter, T., T. A. Johansen, and A. Bemporad, "An algorithm for multi-parametric quadratic programming and explicit MPC solutions ," Proceedings of the 40th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Orlando, FL, USA, 2002.
13. Bemporad, A., M. Morari, V. Dua, and E. E. Pistikopulos, "The explicit linear quadratic regular for constrained systems," Automatica, Vol. 38, No. 1, 3-20, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0005-1098(01)00174-1
14. Ayestarán, R. G., M. F. Campillo, and F. Las-Hears, "Multiple support vector regression for antenna array characterization and synthesis ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2495-2501, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904077