A method for measuring the sensitivity of a capacitive proximity sensor and an application using the sensor as a proximity detector in mobile phone antennas is presented. 2D sensor data plots were physically more exact for tuning sensor placement. 3D sensor data plots were suitable for sensor intensity comparison, highlighting sensor differences in multiple sensor applications and effects in sensor`s output due to shadowing mechanical objects. The antenna proximity sensor was measured and optimised with sensitivity measurements. In a PIFA application the antenna load could be detected from both sides and from above the antenna on a scale o 4.03•10-14 F to 4.33•10-14 F. The cases present all possible positions of holding a phone used in either the ``calling'' or ``browsing'' mode. The method and the application emphasise the physical sensitivity and electrical fields of the sensor. The characteristics can be further improved by using other sensor types, sensor data fusion and advanced imitation of multisensory spatial interaction by humans and animals.
1. Macaluso, E. and J. Driver, "Multisensory spatial interactions: A window onto functional integration in the human brain," Trends in Neurosciences, Vol. 28, 263-271, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.tins.2005.03.008
2. Laschi, C., G. Asuni, E. Guglielmelli, G. Teti, R. Johansson, H. Konosu, Z. Wasik, M. C. Carrozza, and P. Dario, "A bioinspired predictive sensory-motor coordination scheme for robot reaching and preshaping ," Autonomous Robots, Vol. 25, No. 1-2, 85-101, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10514-007-9065-4
3. Yamada, Y., T. Morizono, and Y. Umetani, "Highly soft viscoelastic robot skin with a contact object-location-sensing capability," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 4, 960-968, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TIE.2005.851654
4. Ohashi, E., T. Aiko, T. Tsuji, H. Nishi, and K. Ohnishi, "Collision avoidance method of humanoid robot with arm force," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1632-1641, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.894728
5. Tsuji, T., K. Ohnishi, and A. Sabanovic, "A controller design method based on functionality," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, 3335-3343, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.906175
6. Iwata, H. and S. Sugano, "Human-robot-contact-state identification based on tactile recognition," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1468-1477, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TIE.2005.858739
7. Norgia, M. and C. Svelto, "RF-capacitive proximity sensor for safety applications," IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 1-4, May 2007.
8. Lee, H.-K., S.-I. Chang, and E. Yoon, "Dual-mode capacitive proximity sensor for robot application: Implementation of tactile and proximity sensing capability on a single polymer platform using shared electrodes," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No. 12, 1748-1755, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2009.2030660
9. George, B., H. Zangl, T. Bretterklieber, and G. Brasseur, "A combined inductive-capacitive proximity sensor and its application to seat occupancy sensing ," IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 13-17, May 2009.
10. Pelosi, M., O. Franek, M. B. Knudsen, M. Christensen, and G. F. Pedersen, "A grip study for talk and data modes in mobile phones," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 856-865, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014590
11. Krogerus, J., J. Toivanen, C. Icheln, and P. Vainikainen, "Effect of the human body on total radiated power and the 3-D radiation element of mobile handsets," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 56, 2375-2385, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TIM.2007.903591
12. Berg, M., M. Sonkki, and E. Salonen, "Experimental study of hand and head effects to mobile antenna radiation properties," Proc. 3rd Eur. Conf. on Antennas and Propagation, 437-440, Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
13. Li, C.-H., E. Ofli, N. Chavannes, E. Cherubini, H. U. Gerber, and N. Kuster, "Effects of hand phantom and different use elements on mobile phone antenna radiation performance," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2008.
14. Ofli, E., C.-H. Li, N. Chavannes, and N. Custer, "Analysis and optimization of mobile phone antenna radiation performance in the presence of head and hand phantoms," Turk. J. Elec. Engin., Vol. 16, No. 1, 67-77, 2008.
15. Ranta, T. and R. Novak, "Antenna tuning approach aids cellular handsets," Microwaves & RF, Vol. 82, No. 92, Nov. 2008.
16. Komulainen, M., M. Berg, H. Jantunen, E. T. Salonen, and C. Free, "A frequency tuning method for a planar inverted-F antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 944-950, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919200
17. Myllymaki, S., A. Huttunen, M. Berg, M. Komulainen, and H. Jantunen, "Method for measuring user-induced load on mobile terminal antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 21, 1065-1066, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1728
18. Myllymaki, S., A. Huttunen, V. K. Palukuru, H. Jantunen, M. Berg, and E. T. Salonen, "Capacitive recognition of the user's hand grip position in mobile handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 203-220, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10042007
19. Abu-Abed, A. S. and R. G. Lindquist, "Capacitive interdigital sensor with inhomogeneous nematic liquid crystal film," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 75-87, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08022901
20. García, J. G., J. G. Ortega, A. S. García, and S. S. Martínez, "Robotic software architecture for multisensor fusion system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 3, 2009.