An X-band active radial-waveguide pulsed power amplifier (PA) with high power and high power added efficiency (PAE) is designed, fabricated, and measured in this paper. A bandwidth of 1000 MHz with peak power level of 53.2 dBm at the frequency 9.85 GHz, under the condition of 4 KHz pulse repeat frequency (PRF) and 10% of duty cycle, has been obtained by five-way radial waveguide power combiner. Key features of this combined device are its maximum PAE (>43.6%) and combining efficiency (>92.8%). From 9.5 to 10.5 GHz, the pulsed solid-state power amplifier (PSSPA) can provide a minimum output power level 51.4 dBm, which operates on the repeat frequency 4 KHz, duty cycle 10%. The gain varied between 41.4 and 43.1 dB at the desired frequency range, with only less than ±0.9-dB gain variation, which displayed a flat gain ripple. The PAE of the active combiner fluctuated between 36.5% and 43.6% as frequency varied from 9.5 to 10.5 GHz.
2. Giacomo, M. D., Solid-state RF amplifiers for accelerator applications, Proc. Particle Accelerator Conf., May 2009.
3. Symons, R. S., "Modern microwave power sources," IEEE AESS Systems Magazine, Vol. 17, 19-26, Jan. 2002.
4. Koryu Ishii, T., Microwave Technology: Components and Devices, (Handbook Style), Academic Press Inc., 1995.
5. Schirmer, A., Emission of parasitic X-rays from military radar transmitters and exposure of personnel: Towards a retrospective assessment, Proc. 2nd European IRPA Cong. Radiation Protection, Paris, May 2006.
6. Gouker, M. A., "Spatial power combining," Active and Quasi-optical Arrays for Solid-state Power Combining, R. A. York and Z. B. Popovic (eds.), Wiley, New York, 1997.
7. Cheng, N. S., T. P. Dao, M. G. Case, D. B. Rensch, and R. A. York, "A 120-wattX-band spatially combined solid state amplifier," IEEE Trans. Mircow. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 12, 2557-2561, Dec. 1999.
8. Bialkowski, M. E. and V. P. Waris, "Electromagnetic model of a planar radial-waveguide divider/combiner incorporating probes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 6-7, 1126-1134, Jun. 1993.
9. Schellenberg, J. and M. Cohn, "A wideband radial power combiner for FET amplifiers," IEEE ISSC Int. Dig., 164-165, 1978.
10. Song, K. J., Y. Fan, and Z. R. He, "Broadband radial waveguide spatial combiner," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 2, 73-75, Feb. 2008.
11. Gilmore, R. and L. Besser, Practical RF Circuit Design for Modern Wireless Systems (Volume II), Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2003.
12. Sayre, C. W., Complete Wireless Design, 2nd Ed., McGraw-Hill, 2008.
13. Lacombe, D. and J. Cohen, "Octave-band microstrip DC blocks," IEEE Trans. Microwave Technology Tech., Vol. 20, 555-556, Aug. 1972.
14. Ho, C. Y., "Analysis of DC blocks using coupled lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Technology Tech., Vol. 23, 773-774, Sep. 1975.
15. Kajfez, D. and B. S. Vidula, "Design equations for symmetric microstrip DC blocks," IEEE Trans. Microwave Technology Tech., Vol. 28, 974-981, Sep. 1980.
16. Dixon, P., "Dampening cavity resonance using absorber material," RF Design Magazine, 16-19, May 2004.
17. Syrett, B. A., "A broadband element for microstrip bias or tuning circuits," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 28, No. 8, 488-491, Aug. 1980.
18. Basset, R., High power GaAs FET device bias considerations, Fujitsu Compound Semiconductor, Inc., Application Note, No. 010, http://www.fcsi.fujitsu.com/.
19. Zhang, B., Y.-Z. Xiong, L. Wang, S. Hu, T.-G. Lim, Y.- Q. Zhuang, and L.-W. Li, "A D-band power amplifier with 30-GHz bandwidth and 4.5-dBm psat for high-speed communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 161-178, 2010.
20. Mandeep, J. S., A. Lokesh, S. I. S. Hassan, M. N. Mahmud, and M. F. Ain, "Design of cartesian feedback RF power amplifier for L-band frequency range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 207-222, 2008.
21. Jiménez-Martín, J. L., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class CE power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009.
22. Lee, M.-W., S.-H. Kam, Y.-S. Lee, and Y.-H. Jeong, "A highly efficient three-stage Doherty power amplifier with flat gain for WCDMA applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2537-2545, 2010.
23. Bialkowski, M. E. and V. P. Waristt, A systematic approach to the design of radial-waveguide dividers/combiners, Asia-pacific Microwave Conference, 881-884, 1992.
24. Fathy, A. E., S.-W. Lee, and D. Kalokitis, "A simplified design approach for radial power combiners," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 54, No. 1, 247-255, Jan. 2006.