This paper presents a new dual-mode stub-loaded resonator, which consists of a microstrip resonator with internal coupled lines and an open-circuit stub. Based on the odd- and even-mode equivalent circuits, the resonant characteristics of the proposed microstrip resonator are investigated. It is found that the fundamental even-mode resonant frequency of the proposed resonator can be flexibly controlled while the fundamental odd-mode resonant frequency remains unaffected. Then, based on the proposed resonator, three compact dual-mode bandpass filters, namely filer A, filter B and filter C, are designed, fabricated and measured to validate the design concept. Filters A and B demonstrate opposite asymmetric responses with two transmission poles in the passband and a transmission zero in the stopband. Filter C has three transmission poles in the passband and two transmission zeros respectively in the lower and upper stopbands to enhance selectivity. The experimental results show excellent agreement with the theoretical simulation results.
2. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Bandpass characteristics of new dual-mode microstrip square loop resonators," Electronics Lett., Vol. 30, No. 11, 891-892, 1995.
3. Hong, J.-S. and S. Li, "Theory and experiment of dual-mode microstrip triangular patch resonators and filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1237-1243, 2004.
4. Hong, J.-S., H. Shanman, and Y. H. Chun, "Dual-mode microstrip open loop resonators and filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 8, 1764-1770, 2007.
5. Song, K. and Q. Xue, "Novel broadband bandpass filters using Y-shaped dual-mode microstrip resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 548-550, 2009.
6. Wang, Y.-X., B.-Z. Wang, and J. Wang, "A compact square loop dual-mode bandpass filter with wide stop-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 67-73, 2007.
7. Chen, Z.-X., X.-W. Dai, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using double square-loop structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 409-416, 2007.
8. Huang, C.-Y., M.-H. Weng, C.-S. Ye, and Y.-X. Xu, "A high band isolation and wide stopband diplexer using dual-mode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 299-308, 2010.
9. Chiou, Y.-C., P.-S. Yang, J.-T. Kuo, and C.-Y.Wu, "Transmission zero design graph for dual-mode dual-band filter with periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 23-36, 2010.
10. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip cross-coupled trisection bandpass filters with asymmetric frequency characteristics," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 1, 84-90, 1999.
11. Kurzrok, R. M., "General three-resonator filters in waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 14, No. 1, 46-47, 1966.
12. Chang, C.-Y. and C.-C Chen, "A novel coupling structure suitable for cross-coupled filters with folded quarter-wave resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 12, 517-519, 2003.
13. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupledline Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1999.
14. Matsuo, M., H. Yabuki, and M. Makimoto, "Dual-mode stepped-impedance ring resonator for bandpass filter applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1235-1240, 2001.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.