The design and optimization of an annular ring dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) operating in the C frequency band is addressed. The DRA is intended to be used as the radiating element of a transmitting array of active integrated antennas, its input impedance must exhibit a proper resistive load at the fundamental resonance frequency, as well as a dominant reactive behavior, either inductive or capacitive, at higher harmonics. The configuration here proposed is a slot-coupled annular DRA where harmonic tuning is performed by resorting to a proper shape factor. The design procedure is performed by exploiting artificial neural networks, to find the resonator geometry starting form the desired resonance frequency, and a finite elements based numerical tool for the electromagnetic characterization of the antenna. Samples of simulation results are shown to demonstrate the capabilities of the proposed slot-based harmonic tuning technique for ring DRAs.
2. Kim, H. and Y. J. Yoon, "Compact microstrip-fed meander slot antenna for harmonic suppression," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 10, 761-763, 2003.
3. Kwon, S., B. M. Lee, Y. J. Yoon, W. Y. Song, and J.-G. Yook, "A Harmonic suppression antenna for an active integrated antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 2, 54-56, 2003.
4. Kim, H., K. S. Hwang, K. Chang, and Y. J. Yoon, "Novel slot antennas for harmonic suppression," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 286-288, 2004.
5. Choi, D. H., Y. J. Cho, and S. O. Park, "A broadband T-shaped microstrip-line-fed slot antenna with harmonic suppression," IEEE Microwave Conference Proceedings, APMC, Vol. 4, 4-7, 2005.
6. Zainud-Deen, S. H., H. A. El-Azem Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, "A single-feed cylindrical superquadric dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 409-424, 2008.
7. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-FED multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
8. Al-Zoubi, A. S., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Analysis and design of a rectangular dielectric resonator antenna fed by dielectric image line through narrow slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 379-390, 2007.
9. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, "Design of wide-band dielectric resonator antenna with a two-segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.
10. Tadjalli, A., A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Resonance frequencies and far field patterns of elliptical dielectric resonator antenna: analytical approach ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 81-98, 2006.
11. Saed, M. A. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-FED low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
12. Shin, J., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, Analysis of rectangular dielectric resonator antennas excited through a slot over a finite ground plane , IEEE Antennas Propag. Society Int. Symp., Vol. 4, Jul. 2000.
13. Kishk, A. A., Dielectric resonator antenna elements for array applications, Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Phased-Array Syst. Technol., 300-305, Oct. 2003.
14. Kishk, A. A., "Experimental study of the broadband embedded dielectric resonator antennas excited by a narrow slot," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 79-81, 2005.
15. Mongia, R. K. and A. Ittipiboon, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 9, 1997.
16. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. Antar, D. Roscoe, and M. Cuhaci, "Recent advances in dielectric-resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 40, No. 35, 35-48, 1998.
17. Guraliuc, A., G. Manara, P. Nepa, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "Harmonic tuning for Ku-band dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 6, 568-571, 2007.
18. Lucci, L., G. Manara, P. Nepa, G. Pelosi, L. Rossi, and S. Selleri, "Harmonic control in cylindrical DRA for active antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, Conf. Proc., 3372-3375, 2007.
19. Lucci, L., G. Manara, P. Nepa, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "Cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas with harmonic control as an active antenna radiator," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2009, 7, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2009.
20. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press Ltd., Baldock, Hertfordshire, England, 2003.
21. Zurada, J. M., Artificial Neural Systems, PWS Publishing Company, Boston, MA, USA, 1992.
doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.