A design procedure for a dual-band CPW-fed linearly and circularly polarized (CP) antenna based on the L-shaped slot antenna is presented in this paper. The slot antenna and the feeding structure are fabricated on the same plane of the substrate so that circuit processes and position alignment can be simplified. By shortening the length of one arm of the L-slot, an additional mode with two orthogonal electrical fields with a phase difference of 90 degree is excited, so that the circularly polarized wave can also be excited. The enhancement of the resonant bandwidth is achieved by utilizing a stub-protruded feedline, adding one finger slit at the other arm slot, and tuning the dimension of the ground plane. A bandwidth of 22.0% (2.23-2.78 GHz) is achieved with an axial ratio < 3 dB for the optimized case.
2. Deng, I. C., R. J. Lin, K. M. Chang, and J. B. Chen, "Study of a circularly polarized CPW-fed inductive square slot antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1665-1667, Aug. 2006.
3. De Villiers, J. P. and J. P. Jacobs, "Gaussian process modeling of CPW-fed slot antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 233-249, 2009.
4. Liao, W. and Q.-X. Chu, "CPW-fed square slot antenna with lightening-shaped feedline for broadband circularly polarized radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 61-69, 2010.
5. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-fed T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007.
6. Deng, I. C., Q. X. Ke, R. J. Lin, and Y. T. King, "A circular CPW-fed slot antenna resonated by the circular loop for broadband circularly polarized radiation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1423-1426, May 2008.
7. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K.-F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW fed ultra wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006.
8. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009.
9. Wang, X.-M., L. Luo, J.-P. Xiong, L. Zhang, Z.-B. Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "A broadband CPW-fed slot antenna for IMT-2000, WIMAX and WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1326-1332, 2008.
10. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-fed planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006.
11. Sze, J. Y., J. C. Wang, and C. C. Chang, "Axial-ratio bandwidth enhancement of asymmetric-CPW-fed circularly-polarised square slot antenna ," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 18, 1048-1049, Aug. 2008.
12. Yeo, J. and D. Kim, "Harmonic suppression characteristic of a CPW-fed circular slot antenna using single slot on a ground conductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 11-19, 2009.
13. Hu, W., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-T. Fan, J.-Y. Deng, and M. Zhang, "Compact CPW-fed square slot antenna for dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 165-173, 2011.
14. Wang, C. J., "A CPW-fed wideband spiral slot antenna with circular polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1204-1208, Jan. 2010.
15. Dissanayake, T. and K. P. Esselle, "UWB performance of compact L-shaped wide slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 4, 1183-1187, Apr. 2008.
16. Yang, S. L. S., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband circularly polarized antenna with L-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1780-1783, Jun. 2008.
17. Wang, C. J. and C. H. Chen, "CPW-fed stair-shaped slot antennas with circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2483-2486, Aug. 2009.