An automatic process to design a multiband filter in Non-uniform Transmission Line (NTL) form is presented. The proposed approach supports with Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) technique instead of the traditional methods such as methods based on Inductor-Capacitor filters. The proposed method is described step-by-step and is illustrated by an example emphasizing key points. A critical analysis of this technique is done for emphasizing its limitations. For illustrating the design process, a multiband Ultra Wideband (UWB) filter rejecting two frequency bands is designed.
2. Huang, S. Y. and Y. H. Lee, "Development of Ultra-Wideband (UWB) filters," General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science , Chicago, Illinois, USA, August 7-16, 2008.
3. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-Wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, November 2005.
4. Li, R. and L. Zhu, "Compact UWB bandpass filter using stub-loaded multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 40-42, January 2007.
5. Yao, B., Y. Zhou, Q. Cao, and Y. Chen, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with improved upper-stopband performance ," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 1, 27-29, January 2009.
6. Cai, P., Z. Ma, X. Guan, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, A compact UWB bandpass filter using two section open-circuited stubs to realize transmission zeros , Proc. of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 3356-3359, Suzhou, China, December 4-7, 2005.
7. Hsu, C. L., F. C. Hsu, and J. T. Kuo, Microstrip bandpass filters for Ultra-Wideband (UWB) wireless communications, Proc. of International Microwave Symposium, 679-682, Long Beach, CA, USA, June 15-17, 2005.
8. Chen, N. W. and K. Z. Fang, "An ultra-broadband coplanar-waveguide bandpass filter with skirt selectivity," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 124-126, February 2007.
9. Wang, H., L. Zhu, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid microstrip/CPW structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 12, 844-846, December 2005.
10. Sanchez-Soriano, M. A., E. Bronchalo, and G. Torregrosa-Penalva, "Compact UWB bandpass filter on signal interference technique," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 11, 692-694, November 2009.
11. Ma, Z., C. P. Chen, and T. Anada, New progress in the devel-opment of compact high-performance microwave Ultra-Wideband (UWB) filters, Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, 355-360, Singapore, December 9-11, 2009.
12. Duroc, Y., I. Kharrat, and D. Kaddour, "Time domain design for UWB filters," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1006-1011, May 2011.
13. Hsue, C. W. and T. W. Pan, "Reconstruction of nonuniform transmission lines from time-domain reflectometry," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 1, 32-38, January 1997.
14. Pan, T. W. and C. W. Hsue, "Modified transmission and reflection coefficients of nonuniform transmission lines and their applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 12, 2092-2097, December 1998.
15. Roy, M. L., A. Pérennec, S. Toutain, and L. C. Calvez, "The continuously varying transmission-line technique --- Application to filter design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 9, 1680-1687, September 1999.
16. Nakayama, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Design of microstrip-line bandpass filter based on reflected characteristics in time domain," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Part 2, Vol. 89, No. 3, 1-9, March 2006.
17. Pan, T. W., C. W. Hsue, and J. F. Huang, "Time-domain reflectometry using arbitrary incident waveforms," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2558-2263.
18. Isydorczyk, J., "Comments on time-domain reflectometry using arbitrary incident waveforms ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1296-1297, April 2003.
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, 2005.