An experimental Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Sensor has been designed and developed at Multimedia University, Malaysia. This airborne system is an inexpensive C-band, single polarisation, linear FM airborne radar sensor. The system will be used for monitoring and management of earth resources such as paddy fields, oil palm plantation and soil surface. A series of field measurements and flight test has been conducted to verify the performance of the RF transceiver. This paper highlights the design and development of the SAR RF transceiver, as well as its evaluation result.
1. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 1, Artech House, Norwood, 1981.
2. Skolnik, M. I., Radar Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1970.
3. Curlander, J. C. and R. N. McDounough, Synthetic Aperture Radar, Systems and Signal Processing, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1991.
4. Wiley, C. A., "Synthetic aperture radar - A paradigm for technology evolution," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. AES-21, 440-443, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAES.1985.310578
5. Ausherman, D. A., A. Kozma, J. L. Walkeretal, H. M. Jones, and E. C. Poggio, "Developments in radar imaging," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 20, No. 4, 363-440, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAES.1984.4502060
6. Chan, Y. K., M. K. Azlindawaty, V. Gobi, B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "The design and development of airborne synthetic aperture radar," Proc. IGRASS 2000, Vol. 2, 518-520, Jul. 2000.
7. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, G. Vetharatnam, T. S. Lim, B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "The MASAR project: Design and development," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 279-298, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04071201
8. Chan, Y. K., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Transmitter and receiver design of an experimental airborne synthetic aperture radar sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 203-218, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER04031601