In this paper, a novel Metamaterial (MTM) CRLH Zeroth Order Resonance (ZOR) Circular microstrip patch antenna is proposed to have a monopole antenna pattern due to the completely closed loop of a magnetic current around the structure, and reduced profile and size due to the left-handedness. Different from other ZOR antennas of 1D periodic arrays with shorted patches, we suggest 1 circular patch capacitively coupled to 1 circular shorted ring to have ZOR and -1st resonance modes. The antenna is designed and modeled with equivalent circuits for the coaxial-fed central patch and the circular shorted ring and verified by the comparison with 3D EM simulation of the physical structure. The no-phase variation at the ZOR (2.4 GHz) and the -1st resonance mode (2 GHz) as the metamaterial properties are proven with electric field distributions and far-field patterns. The measurement shows there exist the ZOR and the -1 resonance modes despite the frequency shift from the simulation, which is proven by the monopolar radiation pattern and broadside radiation pattern, respectively. So the advantages of the proposed antenna will be addressed with the low-profile monopole at the ZOR and the size reduction effect at the -1st resonance.
2. Jang, , G. , S. Kahng, and , "Design of a metamaterial bandpass ¯lter using the zor of a modified circular mushroom structure," Microwave Journal, , Vol. 54, No. 5, 158-167, 2011.
3. Lai, , A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, , "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine,, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004.
4. Lee, , C.-J., , K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, , "Composite right/left-handed transmission line based compact resonant antennas for RF module integration," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 54, 2283-2291, 2006.
5. Lai, , A., , K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, , "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation patterns based on periodic structures," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., , Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, 2007.
6. Kim, , J. , J. Choi, and , "Dual band MIMO antenna using ENG zeroth order resonator for 4G system," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, iWAT,, 1-4, 2009..
7. Gomez-Diaz, J. S., , A. Alvarez-Melcon, and T. Bertuch, "A modal-based iterative circuit model for the analysis of crlh leaky-wave antennas comprising periodically loaded PPW," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1101-1112, 2011.
8. Lee, , J.-G. and J.-H. Lee, "Zeroth order resonance loop antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 3, , 994-997, 2007.
9. Jang, , G., , S. Kahng, J. Ju, J. Anguera, and J. Choi, , "A novel metamaterial CRLH ZOR microstrip patch antenna capacitivley coupled to a rectangular ring," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), , 2010.
10. Jang, G. , S. Kahng, and , "Design of a dual-band metamaterial bandpass ¯lter using zeroth order resonance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, , Vol. 12, 149-162, , 2010.
11. Balanis, A., , Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design,, John Wiley & Sons, 1997.