Japanese terrestrial broadcasting was completely converted to digital television (DTV) broadcasting on 470--710\,MHz as of July 2011. However, fading phenomenon resulting from standing waves is a factor in quality deterioration in TV and mobile communication technologies. Suppression of this is needed for many kinds of technologies. A broadband single-feed planar antenna composed of two antenna components, a Broadband Planar Monopole Antenna (B-PMA) and a Broadband Planar Slot Antenna (B-PSA), is proposed for reducing deterioration of reception due to the fading across the DTV band. Reflection coefficients and radiation patterns analyzed by the Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) method and compared with measured results indicate that the proposed antenna is broadband compared with a conventional antenna studied previously. A field experiment is conducted in the DTV band. The results of the field experiment indicate clearly that the proposed antenna efficiently suppresses fading resulting from standing waves across the band.
1. Uchida, H. H., H. Matsui, O. Mikami, and T. Wakabayashi, "Single-feed planar antenna for suppressing the change in received signal level due to standing waves in mobile communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 289-306, 2011.
2. Li, H.-J., T.-Y. Liu, and J.-L. Leou, "Antenna measurements in the presence of multipath waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, 157-178, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00020901
3. Jakes, W. C., "comparison of specific space diversity techniques or reduction of fast fading in UHF mobile radio systems," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 20, No. 4, 81-92, Nov. 1971. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1971.23485
4. Lee, W. C.-Y., "Antenna spacing requirement for a mobile radio base-station diversity," The Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1859-1876, Jul.-Aug. 1971.
5. Lee, W. C.-Y. and Y. S. Yeh, "Polarization diversity system for mobile radio," IEEE Transactions on Communication, Vol. 20, No. 5, 912-923, Oct. 1972. doi:10.1109/TCOM.1972.1091263
6. Tu, T.-C., C.-M. Li, and C.-C. Chiu, "The performance of polarization diversity schemes in outdoor micro cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 175-188, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04122901
7. Ito, K. and S. Sasaki, "A small printed receiving antenna for indoor communications," IEICE Journal, Vol. J71-B, No. 11, 1368-1369, Nov. 1988.
8. Hong, Z., H. Fujiwara, K. Okada, and K. Ito, "Small antenna aiming at electric and magnetic field reception for mobile communications in cities," ITE Technical Report, Vol. 29, No. 15, 21-24, Feb. 2005.
9. Matsui, H. and T. Wakabayashi, "Broadbanding of a planar antenna with three frequency bands and its application," ETRI Journal, Vol. 29, No. 6, 725-735, 2007. doi:10.4218/etrij.07.0107.0170
10. Fallahi, R., A.-A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08022603
11. Uno, T., Finite Difference Time Domain Method for Electromagnetic Field and Antennas, Corona Publishing Co., Ltd, Tokyo, 1998.
12. Kokubo, R., H. Matsui, and T. Wakabayashi, "Consideration of analytical parameters in FDTD method for planar antenna analysis," Proc. of 2006 KJJC, EMT-4-12, 417-420, Sep. 2006.
13. Niikura, K., R. Kokubo, K. Southisombath, H. Matsui, and T. Wakabayashi, "On analysis of planar antenna using FDTD method," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1019-1023, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061002234141
14. Uchida, H. H., H. Matsui, and T. Wakabayashi, "Analytical study of broadbanding of a planar antenna for improving the deteriorated characteristics due to fading phenomenon," Proc. of 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas & Propagation, IF246.16, Jul. 2011.
15. Harrington, R. F., ime-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1961.