A novel System-on-Package (SoP) implementation is presented for a transmitter (TX) module which makes use of electromagnetic coupling between the TX chip and the package antenna. The TX chip is realized in 0.13 μm CMOS process and comprises an on-chip antenna, which serves as the oscillator's inductor as well. The TX chip is housed in a Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramic (LTCC) package with a patch antenna. The on-chip antenna feeds the LTCC patch antenna through aperture coupling, thus negating the need for RF buffer amplifiers, matching elements, baluns, bond wires and package transmission lines. This is the first ever demonstration of wireless-interconnect between on-chip and package antennas which increases the gain and range of the TX module manyfold with respect to the on-chip antenna alone. Though the range of the TX SoP increases considerably, power consumption remains the same as that of the TX chip only. A simple analytical model for the new wireless-interconnect has been developed which helps determine the optimum position of the chip with respect to the aperture in the ground plane.
2. Nejad, , M. B., , H. Tenhunen, and L. Zheng, , "Chip-package and antenna co-design of a tunable UWB transmitter in system-on-package with on-chip versus off-chip passives," 1st Electronics System Integration Technology Conference,, Vol. 1, , 291-298, 2006..
3. Lee, J., , N. Kidera, S. Pinel, J. Laskar, and M. Tentzeris, , "Fully integrated passive front-end solutions for a V-band LTCC wireless system," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters,, 285-288, 2007.
4. Li, , R., et al., , "Design of compact stacked-patch antennas in LTCC multilayer packaging modules for wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, , Vol. 27, 581-589, , 2004.
5. Wolff, I., , "Design and technology of microwave and millimeter wave LTCC circuits and systems," International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics, , 505-512, , 2007.
6. Pozar, , D. M., , "A microstrip antenna aperture coupled to a microstrip line," IEE Electronics Letters, , Vol. 21, No. 2, 49-50, 1985..
7. Zhao, F., , K. Xiao, W.-J. Feng, S.-L. Chai, and J.-J. Mao, , "Design and manufacture of the wide-band aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C , Vol. 7, , 37-50, , 2009.
8. Chan, , K., , E. Lee, P. Gardner, and T. Dodgson, , "Differential aperture coupling technique for passive and active integrated antenna design," Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, IET , 458-464, , 2007.
9. Itotia, I., R. Drayton, and , "Aperture coupled patch antenna chip performance on lossy silicon substrates," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1B, 377-380, 2005.
10. Seki, , T., , K. Nishikawa, and K. Cho, "Multi-layer parasitic microstrip array antenna on LTCC substrate for millimeter-wave ystem-on-package ," European Microwave Conference, , 1393-1396, 2003..
11. Shamim, , A., , M. Arsalan, and L. Roy, , "Wireless interconnect between on-chip and LTCC antennas for system-in-package applications ," European Wireless Technology Conference,, 21-24, 2008..
12. Himdi, M., , J. Daniel, and C. Terret, , "Analysis of aperture-coupled microstrip antenna using cavity method," Electronics Letters, , 391-392, , 1989..
13. Pozar, , D. M., , "A reciprocity method of analysis for printed slot and slot-coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, , 1439-1446, 1986.
14. Sullivap, , N. , D. Schaubert, and , "Analysis of an aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, , 977-984, , 1986..
15. Ittipiboon, A., , R. Oostlander, and Y. Antar, , "Modal expansion method of analysis for slot-coupled microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, , 1338-1340, , 1989.
16. Himdi, , M., J. Daniel, and C. Terret, , "Transmission line analysis of aperture-coupled microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, , 1239-1230, , 1989..
17. Saed, , M., , "Effcient method for analysis and design of aperture-coupled rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, , 986-988, 1993.
18. Bhattacharyya, , A., , Y. Antar, and A. Ittipiboon, "Full wave analysis of an aperture-coupled patch antenna," Electronics Letters, , 153-155, , 1991..
19. Harrington, , R. F., Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, , 93-184, , McGraw-Hill Book Company, , 1961.
20. Shamim, , A., , M. Arsalan, and L. Roy, , "5 GHz monolithic CMOS transmitter and antenna for short-range communications," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, 2007.
21. Croq, F. and A. Papiernik, , F. , A. Papiernik, and , "Large bandwidth aperture-coupled microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, , Vol. 26, 1293-1294, 1990..
22. Cheng, , H. R., X.-Q. Chen, L. Chen, and X.-W. Shi, , "Design of a fractal dual-polarized aperture coupled microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 9, 175-181, 2009.
23. Ghaffar, , F. A., , M. U. Khalid, K. N. Salama, and A. Shamim, "24 GHz LTCC fractal antenna array SoP with integrated fresnel lens," 24 GHz LTCC fractal antenna array SoP with integrated fresnel, Vol. 10, 705-708, 2011.