Cluster-sparse multipath channels, i.e., non-zero taps occurring in clusters, exist frequently in many communication systems, e.g., underwater acoustic (UWA), ultra-wide band (UWB), and multiple-antenna communication systems. Conventional sparse channel estimation methods often ignore the additional structure in the problem formulation. In this paper, we propose an improved compressive channel estimation (CCE) method using block orthogonal matching pursuit algorithm (BOMP) based on the cluster-sparse channel model. Making explicit use of the concept of cluster-sparsity can yield better estimation performance than the conventional sparse channel estimation methods. Compressive sensing utilizes cluster-sparse information to improve the estimation performance by further mitigating the coherence in training signal matrix. Finally, we present the simulation results to confirm the performance of the proposed method based on cluster-sparse.
2. Gui, G., Q.Wan, A. M. Huang, and Z. X. Chen, "Sparse multipath channel estimation using dantzig selector algorithm," The 12th International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications, Sendai, 2009.
3. Czink, N., X. Yin, H. Ozcelik, M. Herdin, E. Bonek, and B. Fleury, "Cluster characteristics in a MIMO indoor propagation environment," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 6, No. 4, 1465-1475, 2007.
4. Vuokko, L., V. M. Kolmonen, J. Salo, and P. Vainikainen, "Measurement of large-scale cluster power characteristics for geometric channel models," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 3361-3365, 2007.
5. Gui, G., Q. Wan, W. Peng, and F. Adachi, "Sparse multipath hannel estimation using compressive sampling matching pursuit algorithm," IEEE VTS APWCS, Gaoxiong, 2010.
6. Gui, G., Q. Wan, N. N. Wang, and C. Y. Huang, "Fast sparse multipath channel estimation with smooth L0 algorithm for broadband wireless communication systems," Communication and Networks, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1-7, 2010.
7. Taubock, G. and F. Hlawatsch, "A compressed sensing techniques for OFDM channel estimation in mobile environments: Exploiting channel sparsity for reducing pilots," IEEE ICASSP, 2885-2888, 2008.
8. Stojanovic, M., "OFDM for underwater acoustic communications: Adaptive synchronization and sparse channel estimation," IEEE ICASSP, Vol. 1, No. 6, 5288-5291, 2008.
9. Rontogiannis, A. A. and K. Berberidis, "Efficient decision feedback equalization for sparse wireless channels," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 2, No. 3, 570-581, 2003.
10. Paredes, J. L., G. R. Arce, and Z. Wang, "Ultra-wideband compressed sensing: Channel estimation," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 1, No. 3, 383-395, 2007.
11. Shi, G., J. Lin, X. Chen, F. Qi, D. Liu, and L. Zhang, "UWB echo signal detection with ultra-low rate sampling based on compressed sensing," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 55, No. 4, 379-383, 2008.
12. Zhou, C., N. Guo, and R. C. Qiu, "Time-reversed ultra-wideband (UWB) multiple measured spatial channels," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2884-2898, 2009.
13. Gui, G., A. Mehbodniya, Q. Wan, and F. Adachi, "Sparse signal recovery with OMP algorithm using sensing measurement matrix," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 8, No. 5, 285-290, 2011.
14. Huang, A. M., G. Gui, Q. Wan, and A. Mehbodniya, "A block orthogonal matching pursuit algorithm based on sensing dictionary," International Journal of the Physical Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 5, 992-999, 2011.
15. Huang, A. M., G. Gui, Q. Wan, and A. Mehbodniya, "A re-weighted algorithm for designing data dependent sensing dictionary," International Journal of the Physical Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 3, 386-390, 2011.
16. Eldar, Y. C., P. Kuppinger, and H. Bolcskei, "Block-sparse signals: Uncertainty relations and efficient recovery," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 6, 3042-3054, 2010.
17. Eldar, Y. C. and M. Mishali, "Robust recovery of signals from a structured union of subspaces," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 55, No. 11, 5302-5316, 2009.
18. Cai, T. T. and L. Wang, "Orthogonal matching pursuit for sparse signal recovery with noise," IEEE Transactions on Information Thoeory, Vol. 57, No. 12, 4655-4666, 2011.
19. Tropp, J. A. and A. C. Gilbert, "Signal recovery from random measurements via orthogonal matching pursuit," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 53, No. 12, 4655-4666, 2007.
20. Tropp, J. A., A. C. Gilbert, and M. J. Strauss, "Algorithms for simultaneous sparse approximation. Part I: Greedy pursuit," Signal Processing, Vol. 86, No. 3, 572-588, 2006.
21. Special issue, , "Sparse approximations in signal and image processing,", http://nips.cc/Conferences/2009/Program/event.php?ID=1878.
22. Adachi, F., H. Tomeba, and K. Takeda, "Introduction of frequency-domain signal processing to broadband single-carrier transmissions in a wireless channel," IEICE Transactions on Communicationns, Vol. E92-B, No. 9, 2789-2808, 2009.
23. Biglieri, E., J. Proakis, and S. Shamai, "Fading channels: Information-theoretic and communications aspects," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 44, No. 6, 2619-2692, 1998.
24. Candes, E. J., J. Romberg, and T. Tao, "Robust uncertainty principles: Exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information," IEEE Transctions on Information Theory, Vol. 52, No. 2, 489-509, 2006.
25. Donoho, D. L., "Compressed sensing," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1289-1306, 2006.
26. Cai, T. T., G. Xu, and J. Zhang, "On recovery of sparse signals via l1 minimization," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 55, No. 7, 3388-3397, 2009.
27. Donoho, D. L. and X. Huo, "Uncertainty principles and ideal atomic decomposition," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 47, No. 7, 2845-2862, 2001.
28. Karabulut, G. Z. and A. Yongacoglu, "Sparse channel estimation using orthogonal matching pursuit algorithm," IEEE 60th Vehicular Technology Conference, IEEE VTC2004-Fall, 3880-3884, 2004.
29. Tropp, J. A., "Greed is good: Algorithmic results for sparse approximation," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2231-2242, 2004.