In this paper, a calibration technique for the position sensor via support vector regression (SVR) is proposed. The position sensor adopts a zero-intermediate frequency architecture based on a six-port network, which is used for directly measuring the phase differences and indirectly reflecting the position. The SVR, which implements the structural risk minimization (SRM) principle, provides a good generalization ability from size-limited data sets. The results indicate that the SVR model can achieve a great predictive ability in positioning, with an accuracy of 2.41 mm over a distance range of 274.5 mm.
2. De la Morena-Alvarez-Palencia, C. and M. Burgos-Garcia, "Four-octave six-port receiver and its calibration for broadband communications and software defined radios," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 1-21, 2011.
3. Khaddaj Mallat, N., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "Comparative demodulation results for six-port and conventional 60 GHz direct conversion receivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 437-449, 2008.
4. Zhao, Y., C. Viereck, J. F. Frigon, R. G. Bosisio, and K. Wu, "Direct quadrature phase shift keying modulator using six-port technology," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 21, 1180-1181, Oct. 2005.
5. Yakabe, T., F. Xiao, K. Iwamoto, F. M. Ghannouchi, K. Fujii, and H. Yabe, "Six-port based wave-correlator with application to beam direction finding," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 50, No. 2, 377-380, Apr. 2001.
6. Boukari, B., E. Moldovan, S. Affes, K. Wu, R. G. Bosisio, and S. O. Tatu, "A heterodyne six-port FMCW radar sensor architecture based on beat signal phase slope techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 307-322, 2009.
7. Boukari, B., E. Moldovan, S. Affes, K. Wu, R. G. Bosisio, and S. O. Tatu, "A 77 GHz six-port FMCW collision-avoidance radar sensor with baseband analytical calibration," Microw. Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 51, No. 3, 720-725, 2009.
8. Stelzer, A., C. G. Diskus, K. Luebke, and H. W. Thim, "A microwave position sensor with submillimeter accuracy," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 12, 2621-2624, 1999.
9. Moldovan, E., S. O. Tatu, T. Gaman, K. Wu, and R. G. Bosisio, "A new 94 GHz six port collision avoidance radar sensor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 751-759, 2004.
10. Liu, Y., "Calibrating an industrial microwave six-port instrument using the artificial neural network technique," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 45, No. 2, 651-656, Apr. 1996.
11. Chen, K., C. Ho, and H. Shiau, "Application of support vector regression in forecasting international tourism demand," Tourism Management Research, Vol. 4, 81-97, 2004.
12. Vapnik, V., The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995.
13. Wei, C., J. O. Chong, and S. S. Keerthi, "An improved conjugate gradient scheme to the solution of least squares SVM," IEEE Trans. Neural Network, Vol. 6, 498-501, 2005.
14. Xia, L., R.-M. Xu, and B. Yan, "LTCC interconnect modeling by support vector regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 67-75, 2007.
15. Yang, Z. Q., T. Yang, Y. Liu, and S. H. Han, "MIM capacitor modeling by support vector regression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 61-67, 2008.
16. Bermani, E., A. Boni, A. Kerhet, and A. Massa, "Kernels evaluation of SVM-based estimators for inverse scattering problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 167-188, 2005.
17. Li, J., R. G. Bosisio, and K. Wu, "A collision avoidance radar using six-port phase/frequency discriminator," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1553-1556, 1994.
18. Tatu, S. O., E. Moldovan, K. Wu, R. G. Bosisio, and T. A. Denidni, "Ka-band analog front-end for software-defined direct conversion receiver," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 2768-2776, 2005.
19. Chang, C. C. and C. J. Lin, "LIBSVM: A library for support vector machines,", System Documention, National Taiwan University, 2004.
20. Bengio, Y. and Y. Grandvalet, "No unbiased estimator of the variance of K-fold cross-validation," J. Machine Learning Research, Vol. 5, 1089-1105, 2004.