With tens or an even larger number of antennas utilized, large-MIMO systems have many potential merits. However, there are also some difficulties with its practical realization. For example, the feedback overhead caused by sending back a large precoding matrix is heavy. In this paper, we propose a selective linear transceiver scheme to reduce the overwhelming feedback overhead in correlated large-MIMO systems. In line with the required reduced amount of feedback, antennas which can provide a potentially large diversity gain are firstly chosen independently of the actual channel realization. The transceiver is then designed over correlated MIMO channels in an iterative way to minimize the sum of detection errors under the transmit power constraint. Although optimal solutions for the case of full transceiver have been given under some special scenarios, we modify them to improve the BER performance of systems. Monte-Carlo simulation results verify that the proposed selective linear transceiver is a useful scheme in large-MIMO systems to provide a tradeoff between performance and feedback overhead.
2. Vardhan, K. V., S. K. Mohammed, A. Chockalingam, and B. S. Rajan, "A low-complexity detector for large MIMO systems and multicarrier CDMA systems," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 26, 473-485, 2008.
3. Elnour, B. and D. Erricolo, "A novel colocated cross-polarized two-loop PCB antenna in the ISM 2.4-GHz band," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1237-1240, 2010.
4. Krairiksh, M., P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna for MIMO application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009.
5. Chung, J.-Y., T. Yang, and J. Lee, "Low correlation MIMO antennas with negative group delay," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 151-163, 2011.
6. Palomar, D. P., J. M. Cioffi, and M. A. Lagunas, "Joint Tx-Rx beamforming design for multicarrier MIMO channels: A unified framework for convex optimization," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 51, 2381-2401, 2003.
7. Gupta, A. and D. Nagar, Matrix Variate Distributions, Chapman & Hall/CRC, London, UK, 2000.
8. Srinidhi, N., T. Datta, A. Chockalingam, and B. S. Rajan, "Layered tabu search algorithm for large-MIMO detection and a lower bound on ML performance," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 59, 2955-2963, 2011.
9. Zhang, X., D. P. Palomar, and B. Ottersten, "Statistically robust design of linear MIMO transceivers," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 56, 3678-3689, 2008.
10. Artigue, C. and P. Loubaton, "On the precoder design of flat fading MIMO systems equipped with MMSE receivers: A large-system approach," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 57, 4138-4155, 2011.
11. Scaglione, A., P. Stoica, S. Barbarossa, G. B. Giannakis, and H. Sampath, "Optimal designs for space-time linear precoders and decoders," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 50, 1051-1064, 2002.
12. Are, H. and G. David, "Precoded orthogonal space-time block codes over correlated ricean MIMO channels," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 55, 779-783, 2007.
13. Ding, M. H. and S. D. Blostein, "Maximum mutual information design for MIMO systems with imperfect channel knowledge," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 56, 4793-4801, Oct. 2010.
14. Ding, M. H. and S. D. Blostein, "MIMO minimum total MSE transceiver design with imperfect CSI at both ends," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 57, 1141-1150, Mar. 2009.
15. Li, X., S. Jin, X. Q. Gao, and K. K. Wong, "Near-optimal power allocation for MIMO channels with mean or covariance feedback," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 58, 289-300, 2010.
16. HjØrungnes, A., Complex Valued Matrix Derivatives - With Applications in Signal Processing and Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
17. Shen, H., B. Li, M. Tao, and X. Wang, "MSE-based transceiver designs for the MIMO interference channel," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 9, 3480-3489, 2010.