This paper presents a novel 377 Ω rectangular stepped patch antenna with partial ground plane at downlink radio frequency range of GSM-900 band. Two steps are incorporated into the patch antenna, and bandwidth expansion was investigated by the currents flowing through the patch antenna. The antenna simulation was carried out in the ADS 2009 environment. The fabricated antenna on FR4 substrate indicates an impedance bandwidth of 32.7% (310 MHz) at 947 MHz centre frequency with return loss of -28.12 dB. The simulated, test and field results of the antenna design are discussed.
2. Huynh, T. and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wide band microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, 1310-1312, 1995.
3. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and Y. L. Chow, "Double U-slot rectangular patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 1805-1806, 1998.
4. Yang, F., X.-X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 49, 1094-1100, Jul. 2001.
5. Luk, K. M., C. L. Mak, Y. L. Chow, and K. F. Lee, "Broadband microstrip patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 1442-1443, Jul. 1998.
6. Kumar, G. and K. C. Gupta, "Directly coupled multiple resonator wide-band microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 33, 588-593, Jun. 1985.
7. Wong, K. L. and Y. F. Lin, "Small broadband rectangular microstrip antenna with chip-resistor loading," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 1593-1594, 1997.
8. Wi, S. H., Y. S. Lee, and J. G. Yook, "Wideband microstrip patch antenna with U-shaped parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, Apr. 2007.
9. Bulja, S. and D. M. Syahkal, "Broadband microstrip antennas using unequal patches," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 3731-3734, Jul. 2006.
10. Chair, R., C.-L. Mak, K.-F. Lee, K.-M. Luk, and A. A. Kishk, "Miniature wide-band half U-slot and half E-shaped patch antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, 2645-2652, Aug. 2005.
11. Shackelford, A. K., K.-F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, "Design of small-size wide-bandwidth micro-strip patch antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 1, 75-83, Feb. 2003.
12. Guo, Y.-X., K.-M. Luk, K.-F. Lee, and R. Chair, "A quarter-wave U-shaped antenna with two unequal arms for wideband and dual-frequency operation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, 1082-1087, Aug. 2002.
13. Xiong, J., Z. Ying, and S. He, "A broadband E-shaped patch antenna of compact size and low profile," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2008.
14. Pues, H. F. and A. R. Van De Capelle, "An impedance matching technique for increasing the bandwidth of microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 37, No. 11, 1345-1354, Nov. 1989.
15. Vera, G. A., A. Georgiadis, A. Collado, and S. Via, "Design of a 2.45 GHz rectenna for electromagnetic (EM) energy scavenging," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 61-64, Mar. 2010.
16. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Newyork, 2005.
17. Badjian, M. H., C. K. Chakrabarty, S. Devkumar, and G. C. Hock, "Circuit modeling of an UWB patch antenna," International RF & Microwave Conference, 3-6, Apr. 2009.
18. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 534-538, Artech House, Boston, London, 2001.
19. ADS, , User Manual, Agilent Technologies Ltd, USA, 2008.