A compact linear tapered slot antenna with wideband performance is proposed. The antenna consists of a microstrip to slotline transition and a linear tapered slot structure which is connected to the slotline. Due to the linear tapered slot, the antenna can realize unidirectional radiation in wideband band. The microstrip to slotline transition is implemented by using a tapered cross, which can easily obtain impedance transformation. Furthermore, this transition can be realized with a small size. The antenna is fabricated and optimized numerically. Both simulated and measured results validate the performance of the antenna in frequency and time domains. The results show that the antenna achieves a bandwidth up to 118% from 2.6 -10.1 GHz. The simulated time domain response of the antenna also shows its good performance in time-domain. The antenna can be well applied to ultra-wideband system.
1. Jahromi, , M. N., , A. Falahati, and R. M. Edwards, , "Bandwidth and impedance-matching enhancement of fractal monopole antennas using compact grounded coplanar waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2480-2487, , 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152321
2. Ryu, , K. S. , A. A. Kishk, and , "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027727
3. Federal Communications Commission, , "Revision of part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission system from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz ," ET-Docket, Federal Communications Commission, FCC,, 98-153, 2002.
4. Schantz, , H. G., , "Planar elliptical element ultra-wideband dipole antennas," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 44-47, 2002.
5. Hu, , Y.-S., , M. Li, G.-P. Gao, J.-S. Zhang, and M.-K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011604
6. Eldek, , A. A., , "Design of double dipole antenna with enhance usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, , 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06012001
7. Chen, , K.-R., C.-Y.-D. Sim, and J.-S. Row, , "A compact monopole antenna for super wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 488-491, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2157071
8. Bahadori, , K. , Y. Rahmat-Samii, and , "A miniaturized elliptic-card UWB antenna with WLAN band rejection for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3326-3332, , 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908800
9. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, , L., , M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna, ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 80, 337-348, , 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07120202
10. Sze, , J.-Y. , K.-L. Wong, and , "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1020-1024, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.933480
11. Liu, , W. C. , C. F. Hsu, and , "CPW-fed notched monopole antenna for umts/imt-2000/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 841-851, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749138
12. Lu, , W.-J., , Y. Cheng, and H.-B. Zhu, "Design concept of a novel balanced ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband (ICUWB), Vol. 1, 1-4, 2010.
13. Behdad, , N. , K. Sarabandi, and , "A compact antenna for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2185-2192, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.850750
14. Ghosh, , S., , B. K. Sarkar, and S. V. Pandey, "TEM horn antenna using improved UWB feeding mechanism," Proc. European Microwave Conference, 1398-1401, 2008.
15. Mehdipour, , A., , K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, , 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072904
16. Fei, , P., , Y.-C. Jiao, W. Hu, and F.-S. Zhang, "A miniaturized antipodal vivaldi antenna with improved radiation characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 127-130, , 2011.
17. Song, , Y., , Y. C. Jiao, T. L. Zhang, G. Zhao, and F. S. Zhang, "Small tapered slot antenna with a band-notched function for wireless applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 97-105, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09062003
18. Cappelletti, , G., , D. Caratelli, R. Cicchetti, and M. Simeoni, "A low-pro¯le printed drop-shaped dipole antenna for wide-band wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 10, 3526-3535, , 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163767
19. Yang, , D., , J. Pan, Z. Zhao, and Z. Nie, "Desgin of trapezoida cavity-backed resistance loaded bow tie antenna with ultrawideband and high directivity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, , No. 11, , 121685-1695, , 2010.
20. Kwon, D.-H., , E. V. Balzovsky, Y. I. Buyanov, Y. Kim, and V. I. Koshelev, "Small printed combined electric-magnetic type ultrawideband antenna with directive radiation characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 237-241, 2008.. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.913153
21. Wang, , C.-J. , T.-L. Sun, and , "Design of a microstrip monopole slot antenna with unidirectional radiation characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1389-1393, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2109682
22. Yeoh, , W. S., K. L. Wong, and W. S. T. Rowe, , "Wideband miniaturized half bowtie printed dipole antenna with integrated balun for wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. , Vol. 59, No. 1, 339-342, , 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090459
23. Telzhensky, , N. , Y. Leviatan, and , "Novel method of UWB antenna optimization for speci¯ed input signal forms by means of genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2216-2225, , 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879201
24. Zhang, , G.-M., , J.-S. Hong, B.-Z. Wang, G. Song, and P.~Li, "Design and time-domain analysis for a novel pattern reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 10, 365-368, , 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2146225
25. Diaz Camblor, , R., , S. Ver Hoeye, C. Vazquez Antuna, G. R. Hotopan, M. Fernandez Garcia, and F. Las-Heras, "Frequency scanning array composed of antipodal linearly tapered slot antennas ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 4, 468-479, 2012.
26. Li, R. , L., , T. Wu, B. Pan, K. Lim, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Equivalent-circuit analysis of a broadband printed dipole with adjusted integrated balun and an array for base station applications, ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2180-2184, , 2009.. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021967
27. Dong, , Y. D., , W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultrawideband antennas with on-ground slot band-notched structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021910