This paper presents propagation measurements results using Integrated Services Digital Broadcast - Terrestrial (ISDB-T) to investigate the characteristics of 6 MHZ wideband Digital Terrestrial Television channel at 677 MHz for fixed and portable reception. Empirical measurements were done at predetermined measurement points consisting of 21 radials for a total of 92 locations extending to 20 kilometers around the National Broadcasting Network (NBN) digital transmitter. Characterizations were conducted using antenna heights of 9 m (fixed reception), 3 m (fixed reception), and 1.5 m (portable reception). Modulation Error Rate (MER), power received, field strength and delay profiles were captured to help characterize the channel in an urban area in and around Metro Manila at day time for temperatures ranging from 26°C to 32°C. Measured field strength was compared to NTC F (50, 90) curves. Polynomial fit using least square errors was used to plot the field strength coverage of NBN. For large-scale fading, it is observed that signal power conforms to Log Normal distribution. The study helped identify problem sites within the coverage. These are locations within the coverage area or at the outskirts of the coverage area where DTV signal is not received at all. A more accurate description of the DTT channel will lead to a better design of the parts of the Digital Television system from the network to transmitting system and receiving equipment. Path loss exponents computed for the three antenna heights can be helpful in developing empirical prediction models.
2. Masa-Campos, J. L., J. M. Lalueza-Mayordomo, and B. TahaAhmed, "RF propagation in indoor environment at WIMAX band of 3.5 GHz," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17--18, 2495-2508, , 2010.
3. Bedicks, Jr., , G., , F. Yamada, F. Sukys, C. E. S. Dantas, L. T. M. Raunheitte, and C. Akamine, "Results of the ISDB-T system tests, as part of digital TV study carried out in Brazil," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting,, Vol. 52, 38-44, 2006. doi:10.1109/TBC.2005.856729
4. Da Silva Mello, , L. A. R., , R. S. L. de Souza, P. V. G. Castellanos, and C. E. S. Dantas, "Measurements of propagation loss and multipath delay pro¯les at 593MHz in a dense urban area in Brazil," IEEE Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-3, 2008.
5. Arrinda, A., , M. M. Velez, , P. Angueira, D. de la Vega, and J. L. Ordiales, , "Digital terrestrial television (COFDM 8K system) ¯eld trials and coverage measurements in Spain," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, Vol. 45, 171-176, 1999. doi:10.1109/11.796257
6. Angueira, , P., , M. M. Velez, D. de La Vega, A. Arrinda, I. Landa, J. L. Ordiales, and G. Prieto, "DTV (COFDM) SFN signal variation field tests in urban environments for portable outdoor reception," IEEE Transaction on Broadcast , Vol. 49, 81-86, 2003.. doi:10.1109/TBC.2003.808738
7. Armoogum, , V., , K. M. S. Soyjaudah, N. Mohamudally, and T. Fogarty, "Comparative study of path loss using existing models for digital television broadcasting for summer season in the north of mauritius ," IEEE Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications,-34, , 2007..
8. Armoogum, , V., , K. M. S. Soyjaudah, N. Mohamudally, and T. Fogarty, "Path loss analysis between the north and the south broadcasting for summer season at UHF bands," AFRICON 2007,, 1-6, 2007.. doi:10.1109/AFRCON.2007.4401524
9. Hendrantoro, , G., , A. Ruyanto, S. Dharmanto, and B. H. Tjahjono, "Urban radio propagation measurement for digital TV broadcast in Jakarta, Indonesia," IEEE Broadcast Technology Newsletter, 2007.
10. Ong, , J. T., S. V. B. Rao, Y. Hong, and G. Shanmugam, "Height gain measurements for DTV reception in Singapore," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, Vol. 50, 396-398, 2004. doi:10.1109/TBC.2004.837872
11. Semmar, , A., , J. Y. Chouinard, V. H. Pham, X. Wang, Y. Wu, and S. Lafleche, "Digital broadcasting television channel measurements and characterization for SIMO mobile reception," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting,, Vol. 52, 450-463, , 2006. doi:10.1109/TBC.2006.883302
12. Semmar, , A., , V. H. Pham, J. Y. Chouinard, S. Laflche, X. Wang, and Y. Wu, "UHF wideband mobile channel measurements and characterization using ATSC signals and diversity antennas ," IEEE Conference on Broadcasting,, 2004.
13. Union, I. T., , "Guidelines and techniques for the evaluation of digital terrestrial television broadcasting systems," ITU-R BT 2035-1, 2007.