A novel 3D Frequency Selective Surface (FSS) architecture based on a circular ring unit element is presented. The circular ring was made 3D by creating a cylindrical element of a certain length, adding an extra degree of freedom into the structure. The length of the cylinder is shown through electromagnetic simulation to have a significant effect on the frequency characteristics of the FSS. Increasing the length of the cylinder can change the FSS from a band-stop to a band-pass filter response. The center frequency of both band pass and band stop responses can also be tuned with adjustment to the length. Dielectric materials are introduced in the center of the cylindrical unit cell elements to simultaneously obtain a stop and pass band with a sharp transition. For high dielectric filling materials, the 3D periodic structure exhibits negative refractive index metamaterial properties. A parametric analysis was conducted on these new cylindrical unit elements, and a prototype 3D FSS structure has been constructed and experimentally validated.
1. Taylor, , P. S., , J. C. Bathelor, and E. A. Parker, "A passively switched dual-band circular FSS slot array," IEEE Conference on Antenna and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC),, Vol. 648, No. 651, , 2011.
2. Li, , L., , C. Qiang, Y. Qiaowei, K. Sawaya, T. Maruyama, T. Furuno, and S. Uebayashi, "Frequency selective reflect array using crossed-dipole element with square loops for wireless communication applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 89-99, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090455
3. Zheng, , S. F., , Y. Z. Yin, and X. S. Ren, , "Interdigitated hexagon loop unit cells for wideband miniaturized frequency selective surface," 9th International Symposium Antennas Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 770-720, 2010 . doi:10.1109/ISAPE.2010.5696582
4. Xue, , J.-Y., S.-X. Gong, P.-F. Zhang, W. Wang, and F.-F. Zhang, "A new miniaturized fractal frequency selective surface with excellent angular stability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 131-138, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10010804
5. Zhang, J.-C., Y.-Z. Yin, and J.-P. Ma, "Frequency selective surfaces with fractal four legged elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 8, 1-8, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08112301
6. Ucar, , M. H. B., , A. Sondas, and Y. E. Erdemli, , "Switchable split-ring frequency selective surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 65-79, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031214
7. Al-Joumayly, , M. , N. Behdad, and , "Low-profile, highly-selective dual-band frequency selective surfaces with closely spaced bands of operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4045-4050, 2010.
8. Langley, , R. J. , E. A. Parker, and , "Double-square frequency selective surface and their equivalent circuit," Electronic Letters , Vol. 19, No. 17, 675-677, , 1983. doi:10.1049/el:19830460
9. Wang, , Z. L., , K. Hashimoto, N. Shinohara, and H. Mastsumoto, "Frequency selective surface for power transmission," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 10, No. 47, 2039-2042.
10. Qing, , A. , C. K. Lee, and , "Analysis of gridded square frequency selective surfaces," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 58-61, 2000.
11. Rashid, K. , Z. Shen, and , "Three-dimensional monolithic frequency selective structure with dielectric loading," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 873-876, 2010.
12. Teo, , P. T., , X. F. Luo, and C. K. Lee, "Frequency-Selective Surfaces for GPS and DCS1800 mobile communication, Part 1: Quad-layer and single-layer FSS design," IET Microwaves Antenna Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2007.
13. Azemi, S. N. , W. S. T. Rowe, and , "Development and analysis of 3d frequency selective surfaces," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 693-696, 2011.
14. Munk, , B. A., , Frequency Selective Surface: Theory and Design, Wiley-Interscience, , New York, , 2000. doi:10.1002/0471723770
15. Huang, , J., , W. T. Kao, and S. W. Lee, "Tri-band frequency selective surface with circular ring elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 2, 166-175, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.277210
16. Hong, J. S., M. J. Lancaster, and , Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, , Wiley-Interscience, , New York, , 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
17. Karmel, , P. R., , G. D. Colef, and R. L. Camisa, Introduction to Electromagnetic and Microwave Engineering, , John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
18. Wang, , J. F., , S. B. Qu, H. Ma, Y. M. Yang, and X. Wu, "Wide-ngle polarization-independent planar left handed metamaterials based on dielectric resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 243-258, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08121609