In this paper, a compact planar monopole antenna with eight-band LTE/WWAN (LTE700/2300/2500/GSM850/900/1800/1900/UMTS) operation for laptop computer application is presented. This design structure comprises a bent driven strip and two coupled strips, which can contribute multiple resonance modes to combine two wide operating frequency bands covering 665-1023 MHz and 1612-2924 MHz. The proposed antenna fed by a 50-Ω coaxial cable occupies a small size of only 65(L)x11(W)x0.4(H) mm3, so it can be flexibly embedded inside the casing of the laptop computer as an internal antenna. A fabricated prototype of the antenna is tested and analyzed. Experimental results exhibit that nearly omnidirectional coverage and stable gain variation across the desirable LTE/WWAN bands can be obtained with the antenna.
1. Lee, , C. T. , K. L.Wong, and , "Planar monopole with a coupling feed and an inductive shorting strip for LTE/GSM/UMTS operation in the mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2479-2483, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048878
2. Chen, S. C., K. L. Wong, and , "Wideband monopole antenna coupled with a chip-inductor-loaded shorted strip for LTE/WWAN mobile handset," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 53, No. 6, 1293-1298, , 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25977
3. Chu, , F. H. , K. L. Wong, and , "Planar printed strip monopole with a closely-coupled parasitic shorted strip for eight-band LTE/GSM/UMTS mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 10, 3426-3431, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2055807
4. Chen, , S. C. , K. L. Wong, and , "Small-size 11-band LTE/WWAN/WLAN internal mobile phone antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 52, No. 11, 2603-2608, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25526
5. Chiu, , C. W., C. H. Chang, and Y. J. Chi, "A meandered loop antenna for LTE/WiMAX operations in a smart phone," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, , 147-160, , 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10072503
6. Wong, , K. L., , M. F. Tu, C. Y.Wu, and W. Y. Li, "On-board 7-band WWAN/LTE antenna with small size and compact integration with nearby ground plane in the mobile phone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 52, No. 12, , 2846-2853, 2010.
7. Kang, , T. W., , K. L. Wong, L. C. Chou, and M. R. Hsu, "Coupled-fed shorted monopole with a radiating feed structure for eight-band LTE/WWAN operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 674-679, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096390
8. Wong, , K. L., P. J. Ma, and , "Coupled-fed loop antenna with branch radiators for internal LTE/WWAN laptop computer antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 52, No. 12, 2662-2667, 2010.. doi:10.1002/mop.25556
9. Wong, , K. L. , C. T. Lee, and , "Wideband surface-mount chip antenna for eight-band LTE/WWAN slim mobile phone application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett.,, Vol. 52, No. 11, , 2554-2560, , 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25543
10. Wong, , K. L. , W. J. Lin, and , "WWAN/LTE printed slot antenna for tablet computer application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 54, No. 1, 44-49, , 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26509
11. Wong, , K. L., , Y. C. Liu, and L. C. Chou, "Bandwidth enhancement ofWWAN/LTE tablet computer antenna using embedded parallel resonant circuit," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 54, No. 2, , 305-309, 2012.. doi:10.1002/mop.26580
12. Kang, , T. W. , K. L. Wong, and , "Simple two-strip monopole with a parasitic shorted strip for internal eight-band LTE/WWAN laptop computer antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 4, 706-712, , 2011.. doi:10.1002/mop.25836
13. Hu, , C. L., , D. L. Huang, H. L. Kuo, C. F. Yang, C. L. Liao, and S. T. Lin, "Compact multibranch Inverted-F antenna to be embedded in a laptop computer for LTE/WWAN/IMT-E applications ," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 9, 838-841, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2069079