This work presents the results of numerical simulations and parametric studies of dielectric loaded wire monopole antenna, of which the main advantage is bandwidth enhancement. Introducing dielectric loading makes it possible to tune antenna to operate over a frequency range not covered with unloaded antenna, while maintaining an omnidirectional radiation pattern. The simulations are performed when loading is done with lossy as well as lossless dielectric and the results are compared. The observational frequency range is extended up to 40 GHz. In addition, the simulated results are compared with the measured S11 of four fabricated antennas loaded with lossy dielectric and a good agreement is obtained.
2. Vardalahos, N. H., "Investigation of loaded monopole antenna,", Msc. Thesis, University of Leeds, 2000.
3. Pomerleau, A. and M. Fournier, "Inductively loaded monopole," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 10, 1972.
4. Zhang, F. F., et al., "Design and investigation of broadband monopole antenna loaded with non-foster circuit," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 17, 245-255, 2010.
5. Lee, J. P. Y. and K. G. Balmain, "Wire antennas coated with magnetically and electrically lossy material," Radio Science, Vol. 14, No. 3, 437-445, 1979.
6. Suma, M. N., et al., "A compact hybrid CPW fed planar monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 27, 3001-3004, 2007.
7. Ghosh, S., P. Abdulla, and A. Chakrabarty, "Monopole antenna loaded with dielectric resonator as EMI sensor," International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, ICECE'06, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2006.
8. Lapierre, M., et al., "Ultra wideband monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, 2005.
9. Tse, K. K., et al., "A monopole antenna loaded by a hemispherical dielectric resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 2003.
10. Ozzaim, C., "Monopole antenna loaded by a stepped-radius dielectric ring resonator for ultrawide bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 2011.
11. Guha, D. , B. Gupta, and Y. M. M. Antar, "New pawn-shaped dielectric ring resonator loaded hybrid monopole antenna for improved ultrawide bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 2009.
12. Guha, D., B. Gupta, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Hybrid monopole-dras using hemispherical conical-shaped dielectric ring resonators: Improved ultrawideband design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 2012.
13. Jazi, M. N. and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an ultrawideband hybrid skirt monopole dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 2008.
14. Ghosh, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "Ultrawideband performance of dielectric loaded T-shaped monopole transmit and receive antenna/EMI sensor," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 2008.
15. Zivkovic, I. and A. Murk, "Characterization of magnetically loaded microwave absorbers," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 33, 277-289, 2011.