This paper presents a novel design of a 4x4 two-layer wideband Butler matrix using a CB-CPW wideband multilayer directional coupler as well as a novel CB-CPW wideband elliptic directional coupler. With this configuration, the proposed matrix was designed to avoid crossovers as in conventional Butler matrices, thus reducing its size, losses and the design complexity while leading to a broad bandwidth of 3 GHz. To evaluate the performance of the proposed matrix, experimental prototypes of the directional elliptic coupler, the CB-CPW multilayer directional coupler and Butler matrix were fabricated and measured. Furthermore, a 4-element antenna array was connected to the matrix to form a beamforming antenna system at 5.8 GHz. As a result, four orthogonal beams were realized in the band 4.5-7.5 GHz.
2. Butler, J. and R. Lowe, "Beamforming matrix simplifies design of electronically scanned antennas," Electronic Design, Vol. 9, 170-173, 1961.
3. Jackson, R. W., "Considerations in the use of coplanar waveguide for millimeter wave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 34, 1450-1456, 1986.
4. Ghione, G. and C. Naldi, "Parameters of coplanar waveguides with lower ground plane," Electron. Lett., Vol. 19, 734-735, 1983.
5. Corona, A. and M. J. Lancaster, "A high-temperature supercon-ducting butler matrix," IEEE Trans. on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 13, No. 4, Dec. 2003.
5. He, J. , B.-Z. Wang, Q.-Q. He, Y.-X. Xing, and Z.-L. Yin, "Wideband X-band microstrip Butler matrix," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 131-140, 2007.
7. Traii, , M., , M. Nedil., A. Gharsallah, and T. A. Denidni, "A novel wideband Butler matrix using multi-layer technolog," Microwave and Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 3, 659-663, 2009.
8. Nedil, M., A. M. Habib, and T. A. Denidni, "Novel ultra-wideband CB-CBW Butler matri," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
9. Traii, M., M. Nedil, A. Gharsallah, and T. A. Denidni, "A new design of compact 4 x 4 Butler matrix for ISM applications," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2008, 2008.
10. Denidni, T.-A. and M. Nedil, "Experimental investigation of a new butler matrix using slotline technology for beamforming antenna arrays," Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 7, 641-649, Oct. 2008.
11. Nedil, M., T. A. Denidni, and L. Talbi, "Novel Butler matrix using CPW multilayer technology," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 499-507, 2006.
12. Dall‘Omo, C., T. Monediere, B. Jeko, F. Lamour, I. Wolk，M. Elkael, "Design and realisation of a 4 x 4 microstrip butler matrix without any crossing in millimeter-wave," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 6, Sep. 2003.
13. Bona, M., L. Manholm, J. P. Satarski, and B. Svensson, "Low-loss compact butler matrix for a microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 9, Sep. 2002.
14. Djera, T. and K. Wu, "Multilayered substrate integrated waveguide 4x 4 Butler matrix," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 3, 336-344, May 2012.
15. Chan, K.-L. , F. A. Alhargan, and S. R. Judah, "A quadrature hybrid design using a four-port elliptic patch," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, 307-310, 1997.
16., , HFSS 12.1 ANSYS, Inc. Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, USA.
17. Tefiku, F., E. Yamashita, J. Funada, "Novel directional couplers using broadside-coupled coplanar waveguides for double-sided printed antennas," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 275-281, Feb. 1996.
18. Chang, C.-P., J.-C. Chiu., H.-Y. Chiu., and Y.-H. Wang, "A 3-dB Quadrature coupler using broadside-coupled coplanar waveguides," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 18, No. 3, Mar. 2008.
19. Johnosono, S., T. Fujii, and I. Ohta, "Design of broadband CPW branch-line 3 dB couplers," Proceedings of the 36th European Microwave Conf., 36-39, 2006.
20. Wong, Y. S., S. Y. Zheng, and W. S. Chan, "Multifolded bandwidth branch line coupler with ltering characteristic using coupled port feeding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 17-35, 2011.
21. Li, B., X. Wu, and W. Wu, "A miniaturized branch-line coupler with wideband harmonics suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 17, 181-189, 2010.
3. Riaziat, M., R. Majidi-Ahy, and I. J. Feng, "Propagation modes and dispersion characteristics of coplanar waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 38, 245-251, 1990.
23. Haydl, W. H., "Resonance phenomena and power loss in conductor-backed coplanar structures," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 20, 514-516, 2000.
24. Haydl, W. H., "On the use of vias in conductor-backed coplanar circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 1571-1577, 2002.