This paper presents the design of a dual-band microstrip antenna with low wide-angle axial-ratio. The antenna is designed for global positioning satellite operations at 1227 MHz(L2), 1575 MHz(L1) and 1176 MHz(L5, available after 2007). This antenna has another advantage of a much wider band in both VSWR and 3 dB axial-ratio compared with single-fed GPS antennas. Details of the design, simulated and experimental results of this GPS antenna are presented and discussed. The measured results confirm the validity of this design, which meet the requirement of GPS applications.
1. Padros, N., J. Ortigosa, J. Baker, M. Iskander, and B. Thomberg, "Comparative study of high-performance GPS receiving antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 4, 698-706, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.564096
2. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032401
3. Zhou, Y., C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Dual band proximity-fed stacked patch antenna for tri-band GPS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 1, 220-223, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.888476
5. Chen, S., G. Liu, X. Chen, T. Lin, X. Liu, and Z. Duan, "Compact dual-band GPS microstrip antenna using multilayer LTCC substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 421-423, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2049822
6. Wang, Y., J. Feng, J. Cui, and X. Yang, "A dual-band circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna with single-fed for GPS applications," Antenna, Propagation and EM Theory, ISAPE 2008, 108-110, 2008. doi:10.1109/ISAPE.2008.4735151
7. Beddeleem, G., J. M. Ribero, G. Kossiavas, R. Staraj, and E. Fond, "Dual-frequency antenna circularly polarized for GPS-SDARS operation," Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2007, 1-5, 2007.
9. Chiu, L. and Q. Xue, "Investigation of a wideband 90° hybrid coupler with an arbitrary coupling level," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1022-1029, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2042835
10. Gipprich, J. W., "A new class of branch-line directional couplers," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 589-592, 1993. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.1993.276869
11. Tanaka, H., N. Babba, S. Arai, and T. Nishikawa, "2 GHz one octave-band 90 degree hybrid coupler using coupled meander line optimized by 3-D FEM," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 903-906, 1994.
12. Eom, S. Y. and H. K. Park, "New switch=network phase shifter with broadband characteristics," Microwave Optical Technology Letter, 255-257, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11030