A novel fourth-order half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) filter with dual-mode microstrip resonator is presented. The dual-mode resonator is etched on the top metal layer of HMSIW cavity, so the size can be reduced greatly. The filter has compact size and wide stopband in comparison with conventional SIW filters. Microstrip resonators and cavity resonators are integrated in one filter to achieve the goal of smaller size and better performance. Two filter samples are designed and fabricated, with good agreement between the measured and the simulated S-parameters.
1. Zhu, L. and K. Wu, "A joint field/circuit model of line-to-ring coupling structures and its application to the design of microstrip dual-mode filters and ring resonator circuits," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 10, 1938-1948, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.795067
2. Lee, J. R., J. H. Cho, and S. W. Yun, "New compact bandpass filter using microstrip 1/4 resonators with open stub inverter," IEEE Microwave Guide Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 12, 526-527, 2000. doi:10.1109/75.895091
3. Wei, C. L., B. F. Jia, Z. J. Zhu, and M. Tang, "Design of different selectivity dual-mode filters with e-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 517-523, 2011.
4. Tyurnev, V. V. and A. M. Serzhantov, "Dual-mode split microstrip resonator for compact narrowband bandpass filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 151-160, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11062104
5. Liao, C. K., P. L. Chi, and C. Y. Chang, "Microstrip realization of generalized Chebyshev filters with box-like coupling schemes," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 1, 147-153, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.888580
6. Zhang, X. C., Z. Y. Yu, and J. Xu, "Novel band-pass substrate ntegrated waveguide (SIW) filter based on complementary split ring resonators (SCRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 39-46, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030201
7. Hao, Z. C., W. Hong, X. P. Chen, J. X. Chen, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Multilayered substrate integrated waveguide (MSIW) elliptic filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 2, 95-97, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.842836
8. Shen, T. M., C. F. Chen, T. Y. Huang, and R. B. Wu, "Design of vertically stacked waveguide filters in LTCC," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1771-1779, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.902080
9. Chen, B. J., T. M. Shen, and R. B. Wu, "Dual-band vertically stacked laminated waveguide filter design in LTCC technology," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1554-1562, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2020833
10. Shen, W., L. S. Wu, X. W. Sun, W. Y. Yin, and J. F. Mao, "Novel substrate integrated waveguide filters with mixed cross coupling (MCC)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 11, 701-703, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2032007
11. Ismail, A., M. S. Razalli, M. A. Mahdi, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, N. K. Noordin, and M. F. A Rasid, "X-band trisection substrate-integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 133-145, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081802
12. Wang, R., L. S. Wu, and X. L. Zhou, "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 135-147, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08071501
13. Zhang, Z. G., Y. Fan, Y. J. Cheng, and Y.-H. Zhang, "A novel multilayer dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide complementary filter with circular and elliptic cavities (SICC and SIEC)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 173-188, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020704
14. Zhang, Z. G., Y. Fan, Y. J. Cheng, and Y.-H. Zhang, "A compact multilayer dual-mode substrate integrated circular cavity (sicc) filter for x-band application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 453-465, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11102904
15. Chen, L. N., Y. C. Jiao, Z. Zhang, and F.-S. Zhang, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide dual-mode filters loaded by a series of cross-slot structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 29-39, 2012.
16. Shen, W., W. Y. Yin, X. W. Sun, and J. F. Mao, "Compact substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) transversal filter with triple-mode microstrip resonator," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1875-1878, 2010.
17. Hong, W., Y. Wang, Q. H. Lai, and B. Liu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application ," Joint 31st International Conference Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics , 219, Shanghai, China, 2006. doi:10.1109/ICIMW.2006.368427
18. Liu, B., W. Hong, Y. Q. Wang, Q. H. Lai, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) 3 dB coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 22-24, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.887244
19. Zhang, X. C., J. Xu, Z. Y. Yu, and Y. L. Dong, "C-band half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 2, 275-277, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23064
20. Zhang, X. Y., J. X. Chen, Q. Yue, and S. M. Li, "Dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, 583-585, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.901768
21. Amari, S., U. Rosenberg, and J. Bornemann, "Adaptive synthesis and design of resonator filters with source/load-multiresonator coupling," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1969-1978, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.801348